In our last letter I talked about the “Christians” as a “Holy People”. In this letter let’s talk about – what is meant by the term over comer in the Christian faith? Let me begin by stating, the difference in being saved is…Not running to SIN but from SIN!
Let’s take a moment and look at…What is Sin?
SIN is – rebellion of God’s Laws. SIN is disobedience of God’s law.
Sin brings death. Simply put, Sin is more than immoral acts or conduct. Sin covers everything that is contrary to the Word of God which is wrong. This is why it is important to read and study the Bible, God’s Word. As believers, we read the Bible and the Holy Spirit leads us into all truth. As an old saying states, “this is where the rubber meets the road”.
It is what we do with the truth of God’s Word. Simply having head knowledge will not do it. It will take applying this knowledge in our everyday walk. It must be applied to our hearts. This is where prayer comes into play. We ought to be prayerful for all things and in all things. In other words, prayer must be up front in all that we do. For the Holy Spirit will guide and help us understand it’s meaning for our lives. I once heard it stated that “the Bible is all the instructions needed to live a Godly and successful life here on earth”
In other letters we have covered various areas of SIN…What is Sin? – missing the mark…What Sin does? – separates. We also took a look at what the end result of SIN is – death. The conclusion of this matter is…sin has no room in the believer. The Holy Spirit will expose sin in ones life and when sin is exposed it must be removed, repented of and not to become part of the believers life. Our prime example is Jesus, a sinless life. As a Christ follower, Christian, we are to follow His example and sin not.
Now let’s take a look at what it takes to be an overcomer in this life? An overcomer is “one that has overcome obstacles. An overcomer is one that obeys God’s law. To “overcome sin” one must live in obedience with God’s ways. This becomes a heart issue.
Obedience will cause you to live as an over comer. It will take determination; a sacrifice of one’s total body, soul and spirit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ; allowing the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. Jesus was an overcomer. He overcame SIN. He was a conqueror…defeating Satan in all areas. He was victorious.
Jesus Christ was an over comer “without Sin” and is our prime example.
- Hebrews 4:15 This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin.
We are to follow Jesus and His passion…reaching out to the lost, the hurting and those in need. As a believer we receive Jesus into our lives, our heart. We are as one allowing the Holy Spirit to make us anew in all that is Christ like.
Simply put, we overcome sin by the blood of the lamb (Jesus). Yes, “IN Him we live, move and have our being.
We are all born into “SIN” and through Christ we too can be an overcome, that is to say, “overcome sin”. How does one overcomer Sin? Repenting and turning away from known sin is a heart issue and is dealt with through the conviction of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. Placing our faith and trust in the work of Christ at the cross.
Yes, we must believe in God’s plan of salvation, which is for me, for you and for those who will receive, believe. The Bible (God’s Word) and the work of the Holy Spirit are the keys that unlock the door in the life of both the sinner and the believer. Truly, The Bible (The Good News) is the Power of God at work and is the antidote for SIN.
- Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—Jews first and also Gentiles.
To overcome, the believer or Christian must live by faith in order to receive anything from God. What is faith?
- Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Another translation reads …(NLT) It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see.
- I like to say it this way, Faith is; seeing that which is not as though it is according to God’s Word. In Romans 10:17 we find out where Faith comes from; Yet faith comes from listening to this message of good news—the Good News about Christ.
Yes, NOW faith is…this faith is not hope but without hope you cannot have faith for they work together. For hope is always out there in the future…but FAITH reacts or takes hold NOW and the results is the substance of the thing hoped for. If faith is not NOW, it’s not faith.
In other words, faith is, believing NOW for the thing which you are asking for and expecting, anticipating the answer, the end result of what you have asked for to come about. The promises of God have already been spoken. The Word, His will, is yes…it’s a matter of us receiving what He has already done.
In Romans Paul talks about Faith…it is a law.
- Romans 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. The New Living Translation says it like this; Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on our good deeds. It is based on our faith.”
So…the law of the Old Testament was a law of works. But now under the New Covenant, it’s by the law of faith. Under the law, (the Old Testament) their works made them righteous. Righteousness is not by works but today under The New Covenant, it’s by the law of faith. Faith must come from the heart…not the head.
In other words, faith must be developed. Time develops faith. To continue to be an over comer one must stay connected with Christ through prayer, studying His Word and applying what He says.
I once heard a person state, “It takes to much work to be a Christian.” There lies the problem. It is NOT by works that we become a Christian and maintain our relationship with Him. It must be from the heart and by faith that we live the Christian life. Unrighteousness, not living right always comes from a heart issue.
Yes, I will say, it will take our part in consecration to guard our selves from worldly and carnal ways. With that said, reading the Bible and praying must come from the heart, a desire and hunger to understand more of God and build a relationship with Him.
As we open our heart to receive from God, the Holy Spirit will guide and lead us into all truth. Living for God as a follower of Jesus Christ (Christian) will be something we want to do. It becomes part of who we are as a person and when it is from the heart there is no work involved, just time.
ANYTHING WE RECEIVE FROM GOD HAS TO BE BY FAITH AND IN FAITH. God’s grace will prevail. Real, true Faith is I know that I know and acting on or applying what I know. We receive this attitude/belief by faith and is placed in our hearts by God’s Word and applying/ living in obedience to the Word of God, directed by the Holy Spirit.
Again let me say, as a believer or follower of Christ our faith is built upon the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, by faith and the working of the Holy Spirit; God’s Word and our relationship with Him in and during our times of prayer.
A key to overcoming…is in our words, be careful what we say. To overcome situations in life, one must stay focused and in the kingdom work, keeping the Word in the forefront of our heart, speaking only what God says in His Word; for His Spirit will be in you flowing from you.
You might say, it is not I speaking, but Him (God) speaking through the Holy Spirit.
- John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
- Just as there is life in the words we speak, our words can also bring death as stated in Proverbs 18:14“The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear it if the spirit is crushed?”
We are overcomers! You and I as believers can overcome Satan, by using faith-filled words, which comes by faith within our hearts built on the very Word of God.
Satan has NO Authority over the believer who by faith, uses the very power of God’s Word to bind and loose, those things permitted and not permitted as stated in:
- both Matthew 16:19 and Matthew 18:18, the Greek text makes the meaning clear: “Whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens”
- (Matthew 16:19 Young’s Literal Translation). Or, as the Amplified Bible puts it, “Whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth will have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth will have [already] been loosed in heaven.”
Words of faith brings God on the scene…Words of fear brings the devil on the scene. Yes, words are like seeds they will produce a harvest.
An overcomer will always pray the answer…pray the solution from God’s Word and speak Words of life. Praying the problem will kill faith-causing fear to abound opening the doorway to the devil. An over comer will believe…
- Mark 9:23 “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.”
If you will believe you will receive. Believe what?, the Word of God and receive what? the promise, yes, the answer you have been asking, partitioning, praying for.
Another key to being an overcomer is to confess what God has said in a particular situation. As I have often stated, find the promise in the Word regarding your situation, speak it forth with your lips; faith believing in your heart.
There will be an expectation and anticipation in your actions as you watch it become reality in your life. The seed of your God’s word; growing to maturity, producing the product (or fruit) of your word.
Are you speaking His Word? The Word that has been birthed in your heart by faith, through reading and hearing the Word.
An overcomer is one that is “fully persuaded” (convinced). Confess that which is in you. For true confession will bring out the bad and the good in you. Confession is agreeing with God. As you study His Word and confess that which is in you, you will soon realize the truth in speaking the Word of God from your heart which will produce prayer results. This is the kind of prayer that makes an overcomer.
Sin having NO RULE over you…yes, an overcomer… like Jesus…one without sin! The overcomer – has Authority! His Authority of Christ in us. Christ authority working in and through us by the power of the Holy Spirit.
The Bible states that the end time believers overcome the devil by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony. The declaration of the blood of Jesus (what Jesus already did) can bring healing to every part of our body.
- Revelation 12:11 And they have defeated him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of their testimony. And they were not afraid to die.
What are three spiritual keys to use in spiritual warfare:
- The Word of God,
- the name of Jesus
- and the precious blood of Jesus
Yes – we the Church must begin to use the Authority God gave us and do something. Let’s begin today, speaking the Word of God, in the Name of Jesus, applying His blood over our situation, families and friends.
Do you know your rights as a believer? “Greater is He that is in you than He that is in the world.” The overcomer will not allow Satan to keep them in unbelief.
As a spirit filled believer, when you demand Satan to flee, he must depart. As you take your authority, declare your rights and privileges in God by faith…you will begin to see results when you speak and declare the Word.
Speak and declare the Word only. Don’t be moved by what you see or what you feel but be moved ONLY by what you believe, faith through His Word. Believe and stand your ground. You will become an overcomer.
- 1 Peter 5:8-10 Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness God called you to his eternal glory by means of Jesus Christ. After you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation.
We will go through a time of testing, trials and tribulations but be assured that there will be also a time of strengthening. Be strong in the faith, don’t waiver, for our faith is built on a firm foundation that of Christ Jesus, and He never fails. The end results will be the finished product; a testimony, one who overcame obstacles just like Jesus, an overcomer.
- Romans 8:17 And since we are his children, we will share his treasures—for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours, too. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.
God is waiting for us to take authority over every situation around us as directed by the Holy Spirit…It is within the reach of every believer to become an overcomer and use His God given authority, as the Holy Spirit directs, leads and guides us.
- Colossians 1:13 For he has rescued us from the one who rules in the kingdom of darkness, and he has brought us into the Kingdom of his dear Son.
We were brought into His Kingdom for a purpose, to live a life in Jesus, an over comer; overcoming tribulations and becoming a living testimony sharing the Good News…
- Mark 16:15-18 (NLT) And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. These signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak new languages. They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick and heal them.”
We can and will be an overcomer, defeating Satan in ALL areas of our life! Through the blood of the Lamb we are an overcomer, victorious!
Love in Christ Jesus,