As we learned in a previous letter, confession of sin is a MUST in order to walk in the Spirit but in itself it is not enough to enable the believer to walk or stay in the Spirit.
Another important ingredient to walking in the Spirit is to become a yielded vessel, an instrument for God’s service. We as believers/ followers of Jesus Christ are to be a yielded vessel for His use. You could say we are to be the conduit in which flows the very power of God, yes, the Holy Spirit working in us and Christ flowing through us.
Walking in the Spirit is living the Christian life. You may ask, what is to be yielded? To yield is to surrender; to give up; to submit; or giving way to authority. Let’s look into God’s Word to answer this question?
- Romans 6:13 Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness, to be used for sinning. Instead, give yourselves completely to God since you have been given new life. And use your whole body as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God.
- James 4:7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the Devil, and he will flee from you.
As stated above in Romans and James the person is simply to be yielded to the Spirit of God; for yielding involves both:
1. …the body.
- Romans 12:1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask?
- 1 Corinthians 6:20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.
2. …and the mind.
- Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.
Changing the way you think goes a long way in knowing what God wants for you! Yes, it involves both the body and the mind to be yielded to the Spirit. Consider this, what is conceived in the mind goes to the heart and is carried out in the body; thus it is a MUST to present one’s entire being to the will of God…for His service.
There must not only be a yielding to do some specific thing, but there must be a dedication to one’s self to do whatever God commands.
Yielding not only leads to dedication but also can result in separation. You cannot live up to the standards of this world and at the same time do the will of God.
1 John 2 puts this in perspective…
- 1 John 2:15-17 (NLT) Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.
When we are walking in the Spirit we are literally walking in God’s presence…thus we will be doing God’s will in thought, values and actions. Yes…You are His body; His feet, His hands, His mouth, His eyes and His ears. When you are yielded…a transformation takes place of your mind…accomplished through a lifetime of daily “renewing “ the mind. I am so grateful that I yielded to His compelling and accepted His plan of salvation.
As stated in the next scriptures, we are all heading the wrong way UNLESS we choose to yield to God and His compelling to accept Christ. When we accept Jesus as our Savior, we receive a new nature in Christ, a desire to follow Godly ways, eternal life with God, our Father.
- Romans 8:7 For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will.
- Colossians 1:21 This includes you who were once so far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions.Sin has darkened the human mind and must be brought to a place where it thinks, as God thinks, as stated in:
- Ephesians 4:23–24 Instead, there must be a spiritual renewal of your thoughts and attitudes.
You must display a new nature because you are a new person, created in God’s likeness—righteous, holy, and true.
This brings us to the question…How can we renew our mind?
This renewing of the mind comes through 2 ways:
1) Prayer to God in everything.
- As stated in Philippians 4:6-7…Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
2) Constant meditation on the Word of God will keep us focused on following and obeying His laws and commandments.
Psalm 119:1 Happy are people of integrity, who follow the law of the LORD.
Yes…confession of sin and yielding to God’s Spirit are the two ingredients that will keep us walking in the Spirit. Simply put…agreeing with God about the person’s sin and dedication of self to God. So we can say that as we confess our sin and yielded to God’s Spirit we find ourselves walking in His Spirit.
As we are walking in the Spirit, yielded to God and desiring to be filled with the Holy Spirit and renewed daily, we can be assured that we will be FILLED with the Holy Spirit for God is not a respecter of persons.
- Stated in Acts 2:4 And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages (tongues), as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
- Acts 4:31 After this prayer, the building where they were meeting shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. And they preached God’s message with boldness.
As we read and believe His Word we will begin to pray His Word, His promises. Praying His Word will bring us into His very presence; which will lead us into being filled with His Spirit as we yield/surrender our body; our mind, our emotions and our will. This is an exciting place to be for we will move from Christ in us to Christ flowing through us and Christ flowing out of us touching lives, yes, Christ, changing lives for eternity. Being FILLED with the Spirit is to be controlled by the Spirit and is a very crucial part to living the Christian life successfully.
Being FILLED with the Holy Spirit brings about boldness…an anointing that breaks every yoke! Being filled with His Spirit will give you the boldness to say NO to all forms of sin and continue to be obedient to His Ways proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ with boldness.
Probably the next most important question is: How can I be filled with the Holy Spirit?
The First most important step is to see the need for the infilling of the Holy Spirit, and have a desire for this experience. Out of a desire comes that of asking in faith believing that you will receive.
Secondly, with that in mind, we must be obedient to God’s Word; a confession of all known sin and yielding to the Holy Spirit plays an important part in being filled with the Holy Spirit. In this way a person is emptying Himself of all carnal (worldly) ways and yielding to Godly ways thus being (obedient) controlled by the Holy Spirit. Yes, His guidance and direction will keep us walking in His Spirit.
The final step is simply to receive, out of the desire, seeing the need of this gift includes that of thanking God for His gift of the Holy Spirit. Being emptied of self will open your spirit and enable you to receive the initial evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit, that of speaking in tongues, a language not initially known to the receiver. The believer who chooses to obey in these areas will be filled with the Holy Spirit and will manifest Christ like character as stated in:
- Galatians 5:22-23 But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
Being filled with the Holy Spirit is a life of vibrant and attractive qualities where our lives will be producing FRUIT for His Kingdom. The Spirit-filled life is a life that is enriched and evident with the power of God flowing in and through their life! Being filled with the Spirit will help us walk in the Spirit and if we continue to walk in the Spirit we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh as stated in:
- Galatians 5:16-17 (NIV) So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh.
They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. When you make that choice (daily) to choose righteousness – right living, obeying Godly ways, you will be – A life forever changing, made in the likeness of Christ! Yes, created for God’s purpose!
Love in Christ Jesus,