In the next few letters I will be writing on the need for the nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit and their importance in the church for today. We as followers of Jesus Christ a “Pentecostal People” must walk in the “fullness” of the Spirit. That is to say… the Gifts of the Spirit MUST be evident in our daily lives and services, in order to maximize the success of the Gospel to reach the lost for Jesus Christ.
As children of God, sons and daughters, we are born of God’s own nature. We are partakers of the extraordinary and divine power that belongs to God; given from God, distributed to the believers, by the Holy Spirit. In our human reasoning, promises are only as good as the person giving them. And even then, our experiences has taught us not to count on the promise until the promise is complete fulfilled.
With that said; the God that we worship, the God of the universe, does not lie and does not fail to keep His word, not even once. We can be assured that a promise from God is a declaration of certainty. God’s promises are tangible gifts. As a believer, God has promised Eternity in His Family; an end to suffering and transformation by the power of the Holy Spirit. A purpose and meaning for eternity, forever. I am so looking forward to that day; how about you?
The promises throughout the Bible were given from God to all spirit filled believers to use right now; for they are fully equipped to lead the life for which God has called them. Since they are equipped as spirit filled believers they are encouraged to grow and use these tools. If they do not grow in these qualities as Apostle Peter states below they will lead to the opposite of no effect.
As stated in 2 Peter 1:3-15 (NIV) His (God’s) divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. v.4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.
We as believers are partakers of the divine nature…yes, we have access to God and freedom to exercise the divine powers that belong to the family of God. When we do, we will be productive in and for God’s Kingdom.
Here lies God’s Recipe for Power:
- Jesus said, “But when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power and will tell people about me everywhere…” (Acts 1:8) This is God’s recipe for power. Every Christian needs this power and should desire it and seek it earnestly – sincerely!
- In Acts 1:4 (NKJV) Jesus COMMANDED them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father…
- and in John 14:15 (NKJV) Jesus said, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” There are commandments throughout the Bible and to be filled with the Holy Spirit is one of these commands as stated inEphesians 5:18 (NKJV)…” be filled with the Spirit,” …so be determine,
TODAY, that you are going to be filled with the SPIRIT! God is the same yesterday, today and forever…if the early church had all the gifts working in, through and among the believers, than it is still His plan for all believers today, to be endued with power, to represent God in the Earth.
The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit as stated in:
- Galatians 5:22-23, are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit which should be produced in every Christian. “But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”…
The main point that I would like to make, in this letters, is that there is a lot more to Pentecost than speaking in tongues…a lot more…Speaking in tongues is for the purpose of praying to God when we don’t know how to put it into words…it provides peace and assurance in our spirit. When praying in tongues we are praying to God through the Holy Spirit that bonds our spirit with God’s spirit. The gift of tongues is for all believers who are immersed/ yielded and totally surrendered to the Holy Spirit and it is used for their individual times of prayer.
The different kinds of spiritual gifts as stated in in 1 Corinthians chapter 12 are distributed to spirit filled believers, that are consecrated unto God and yielded to the Holy spirit, given to whom ever the Holy Spirit wills; or you might say as He see’s the need and fills the need in those and to those that are desiring and opened/ yielded and surrendered to the Holy Spirit.
- Let’s look at what 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 states; Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service in the church, but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are different ways God works in our lives, but it is the same God who does the work through all of us. (v.7) A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church. To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another he gives the gift of special knowledge. The Spirit gives special faith to another, and to someone else he gives the power to heal the sick. He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and to another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to know whether it is really the Spirit of God or another spirit that is speaking. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, and another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. It is the one and only Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.The nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit is the power of the Holy Spirit given to EVERY believer that asks, covets and desires for the purpose of doing the works of Christ.
All the nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit are given by the grace of God through faith in a given situation to demonstrate God’s supernatural power. The Holy Spirit was and is to be the:
- Spiritual Evidence (walking in the light and following Jesus in obedience, sanctification, and Spirit-filled witness),
- Initial Evidence (speaking in tongues and prophesy-an effect of Spirit filling – structured by the Word of God, prayers of thanksgiving, praise, and intercession…proclaiming the mighty acts of God),
- Essential Evidence (love is the inner content of our union with God in Christ by the Holy Spirit. Love fulfills the law of God and is the motive for all obedience as stated in 1 Cor. 13. Love is the inner meaning of true sanctification and to be the Christian walk – Christian perfection (maturity),
- Ultimate Evidence (as stated in Hebrews 9:14 and 1 John 4:10, the meaning of love is found not in the fact that we loved God but that God first loved us and gave Himself for us. Yes, the Christian witness is a life-and-death matter. Also stated in Matthew 16:24, the way of discipleship is the way of self-sacrificing witness, by the fruit of the power of the Holy Spirit, the same Holy Spirit who enable Jesus Christ to offer Himself on Calvary.
I believe the ULTIMATE goal of every Pentecostal believer is to give his or her life in service for the Master, allowing the Holy Spirit to work in and through the person. Maintaining communication with the Lord thru prayer whether words, sighs, or tongues-is to be in the Spirit. Thru prayer, the Holy Spirit can give direction, comfort, and strength in the Spiritual battles to which the church is called. Every believer ought to be walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. The church, as it is meant to be, is the body of Christ as stated in:
- Ephesians 1:23 “And the church is his body; it is filled by Christ, who fills everything everywhere with his presence.”
May we be the Church that Jesus is coming back for…let us continually be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit!
The Purpose of the Gifts of the Spirit:
To manifest the Body of Christ on Earth.
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-14 The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up only one body. So it is with the body of Christ. Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into Christ’s body by one Spirit, and we have all received the same Spirit. Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part.
- 1 Corinthians 12:27 Now all of you together are Christ’s body, and each one of you is a separate and necessary part of it.
To assist in evangelizing of the World.
- Mark 16:15-18 And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. These signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak new languages. They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick and heal them.”
To edify the Church.
- 1 Corinthians 14:3 But one who prophesies is helping others grow in the Lord, encouraging and comforting them.
- 1 Corinthians 14:12 Since you are so eager to have spiritual gifts, ask God for those that will be of real help to the whole church.
- 1 Corinthians 14:26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize what I am saying. When you meet, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in an unknown language, while another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must be useful to all and build them up in the Lord.
For the deliverance of God’s people. The gifts specially designed for the deliverance of God’s people in times of crisis are the Word of Wisdom, the Word of Knowledge, the gifts of Healing, Working of Miracles, and the gift of Faith.
For the perfecting of the Church.
- Ephesians 4:11-14 He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ. Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth.
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are both “spiritual” and “manifestations” as stated in:
- 1 Corinthians. 12:4-11. Every believer should have at least one of the manifestations (gifts) as stated in (verse 7).
The nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit are as follows: There are three general Classifications of the Gifts.
First, The Gifts of Revelation, or the Mind-Gifts,
1. The gift of the word of wisdom.
2. The gift of the word of knowledge.
3. The gift of discerning of spirits.
Second, The Gifts of Inspiration, or the Vocal Gifts.
4. The gift of prophecy.
5. The gift of divers kinds of tongues or languages.
6. The gift of the interpretation of tongues or languages.
Third, The Gifts of Power, or the Working Gifts.
7. The gift of faith.
8. The gift of healing.
9. The gift of the working of miracles.
Remember, these gifts represents the work of God and what He does through the life of a believer in a given situation to demonstrate His supernatural power pointing to the Gospel.
These Gifts are given to you through God’s grace, BY FAITH…Faith is an act…we must put our faith into action! …let’s desire these Gifts of the Holy Spirit…His Word says to covet these Spiritual Gifts…for to do the Works of Jesus, the Gifts are a necessity…yes…they are for ALL believers…
Today, let’s began to ask, seek and desire these wonderful Gifts – For God said He would not refuse anything Good, especially these Gifts, to His children.
Let’s begin TODAY to walk in the “fullness” of His Spirit.
Yes – a people after God’s own heart!
Love in Christ Jesus,