It is important to start these next few letters with a look at Galatians the 5th chapter and in 1 Corinthians the 12th and 13th chapter, Apostle Paul is speaking about the importance of love… “charity” from the Greek word “agape”… meaning divine love. In previous letters we have stated and wrote about the Fruit of the Spirit as characteristics of the Holy Spirit. It is very important to note that the Fruits MUST accompany the gifts as stated in 1 Cor. 13:1-3.Just as there are the nine Fruit of the Spirit and nine Gifts of the Spirit, so there are nine ingredients in divine love. Paul, having emphasized the importance of the gifts makes plain that they have value only if divine love accompanies them.
Nine Ingredients in Divine Love:
1. PATIENCE – “love suffereth long”.
2. KINDNESS – love is kind. Great men tend to be kind!
3. GENEROSITY – charity envieth not…as stated in Psalm 75:7 It is God alone who judges; he decides who will rise and who will fall.
4. HUMILITY – charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up…the cure for unholy ambition is divine love.
5. COURTESY – is not easily provoked…will keep Christians from discussing the faults of others in a malicious spirit.
6. UNSELFISHNESS -seeking not her own (Phil. 2:21)
7. GOOD TEMPER – is not easily provoked
8. THINKETH no evil…in the long run, people who have faith in others will come out the best…when you show confidence in them, they will usually strive to keep faith with that confidence.
9. REJOICETH NOT IN INIQUITY but rejoiceth in the truth…yes , there must be an emphasis on holiness and the fruits of the Spirit with the return of the gifts to the Church.
(1) – In this lesson we will discuss the first Gift, The Word of Wisdom within the first Classification – The Gifts of Revelation, or the Mind-Gifts. THE WORD OF WISDOM. This is supernatural revelation, or insight into the divine acts as to how God Himself does things. It is the application of divine knowledge according to the will of God.
The word of wisdom conveys divine instructions to men, and it may be manifested by dreams, visions, audible voices, angels, or by divine utterance in prophecy and tongues and interpretation.
The word of wisdom is revelation concerning things present and future. When any special problem arises that is not covered by God’s written revelation or there are no specific rules to go by, the gift of wisdom should be used in solving the problem.There are numerous problems that come up in church and civil governments that could be easily solved by this gift if men would reverence God enough to seek for it and depend upon the Spirit for the word of wisdom. To better understand the purpose and working of the Spiritual Gift, let us look into the Bible at the moral distinction in defining WISDOM.
Let’s look at three kinds of Wisdom, in which All three have this in common: they are dedicated to the use of the best possible means to secure a desired result.
1. Divine wisdom – is the best means possible to advance the Kingdom of God for present and future. Wisdom of the Spiritual Man is opposed to the wisdom of the natural man as stated in:
- 1 Corinthians 2:6 Yet when I am among mature Christians, I do speak with words of wisdom, but not the kind of wisdom that belongs to this world, and not the kind that appeals to the rulers of this world, who are being brought to nothing. Wisdom of man places supreme value on the things of this life… on the other hand Spiritual Wisdom thinks beyond this life. It enables man to make true judgment.
- 2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me-the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his glorious return.
2. Human or natural wisdom – is limited to the interest of the present life. The Wisdom of Man as stated in:
- Luke 14:28-32 “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first getting estimates and then checking to see if there is enough money to pay the bills? Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of funds. And then how everyone would laugh at you! They would say, ‘there’s the person who started that building and ran out of money before it was finished!’ “Or what king would ever dream of going to war without first sitting down with his counselors and discussing whether his army of ten thousand is strong enough to defeat the twenty thousand soldiers who are marching against him? If he is not able, then while the enemy is still far away, he will send a delegation to discuss terms of peace.
- Ecclesiastes 1:16-18 I said to myself “Look, I am wiser than any of the kings who ruled in Jerusalem before me. I have greater wisdom and knowledge than any of them.” So I worked hard to distinguish wisdom from foolishness. But now I realize that even this was like chasing the wind. For the greater my wisdom, the greater my grief. To increase knowledge only increases sorrow.
3. Wisdom of Satan, of devils, or wisdom that is employed for distinctly evil purpose. Satan’s wisdom is “earthly, sensual, devilish as stated in:
- James 3:14-16 But if you are bitterly jealous and there is selfish ambition in your hearts, don’t brag about being wise. That is the worst kind of lie. For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and motivated by the Devil. For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and every kind of evil.
- Ezekiel 28:12“Son of man, weep for the king of Tyre. Give him this message from the Sovereign LORD: You were the perfection of wisdom and beauty.
- Ezekiel 28:17 Your heart was filled with pride because of all your beauty. You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth and exposed you to the curious gaze of kings.-
Wisdom comes from the Greek term (Sophia), which emphasizes ability, skill and insight…a word of wisdom… a word from God that gives insight and direction. To sum it up…the word of wisdom is the active, supernatural agent through which either spiritual or natural wisdom may be imparted, depending on just what may be the need at the time.When God makes you know that a certain thing is true that is knowledge but when he tells you when and how to apply this knowledge, THAT IS WISDOM. The purpose of the Word of Wisdom was to give:Wisdom comes from the Greek term (Sophia), which emphasizes ability, skill and insight…a word of wisdom… a word from God that gives insight and direction.
To sum it up…the word of wisdom is the active, supernatural agent through which either spiritual or natural wisdom may be imparted, depending on just what may be the need at the time.When God makes you know that a certain thing is true that is knowledge but when he tells you when and how to apply this knowledge, THAT IS WISDOM.
The purpose of the Word of Wisdom was to give:
- GOD’S WISDOM in creation (Prov. 8:27)
- WISDOM for craftsmanship, leadership, and everyday problems – Exodus 31:1-5, Deut. 34:9, Matthew 12:42
- WISDOM to guide the Church – 1 Corinthians 12:28 Here is a list of some of the members that God has placed in the body of Christ: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing, those who can help others, those who can get others to work together, those who speak in unknown languages. When a man speaks and walks in Godly Wisdom…man cannot resist those things given by the Spirit as stated here in Acts 6:10 (KJV)And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake.
- WISDOM when called before magistrates (kings or government officials in regards to your faith) Matthew 10:18 -19 And you must stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. This will be your opportunity to tell them about me-yes, to witness to the world. When you are arrested, don’t worry about what to say in your defense, because you will be given the right words at the right time.
- WISDOM to win souls – Proverbs 11:30 The godly are like trees that bear life-giving fruit, and those who save lives are wise.
- WISDOM in time of war – 2 Samuel 5:18
- WISDOM to counsel in government affairs – Daniel 2:30
- WISDOM for divine guidance. Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path.
Examples of the use of the Word of Wisdom may be seen in:
Wisdom in answering Satan in Luke 4:12 Jesus responded,”The Scriptures also say, ‘Do not test the Lord your God.'”
Christ’s reply to John the Baptist…Luke 7:21-22 At that very time, he cured many people of their various diseases, and he cast out evil spirits and restored sight to the blind. Then he told John’s disciples, “Go back to John and tell him what you have seen and heard-the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor.
Christ answers His enemies in John 8:26 I have much to say about you and much to condemn, but I won’t. For I say only what I have heard from the one who sent me, and he is true.”
- Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”
- John 2:22-24 After he was raised from the dead, the disciples remembered that he had said this. And they believed both Jesus and the Scriptures. Because of the miraculous signs he did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many people were convinced that he was indeed the Messiah. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew what people were really like.
- John 4:16-19 “Go and get your husband,” Jesus told her. “I don’t have a husband,” the woman replied. Jesus said, “You’re right! You don’t have a husband-for you have had five husbands, and you aren’t even married to the man you’re living with now.” “Sir,” the woman said, “you must be a prophet.
- Acts 26:16 Now stand up! For I have appeared to you to appoint you as my servant and my witness. You are to tell the world about this experience and about other times I will appear to you.
- Acts 27:21-25 No one had eaten for a long time. Finally, Paul called the crew together and said, “Men, you should have listened to me in the first place and not left Fair Havens. You would have avoided all this injury and loss. But take courage! None of you will lose your lives, even though the ship will go down. For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, ‘Don’t be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What’s more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.’ So take courage! For I believe God. It will be just as he said.
- James 1:5 If you need wisdom-if you want to know what God wants you to do-ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking.
- Proverbs 4:7 Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do! And whatever else you do, get good judgment.
WISDOM should be one of the gifts fervently sought after… and a MUST in the Christian walk!
Love in Christ Jesus,