May this letter bring greater understanding what it means by (the power of the tongue). Just as your thoughts and attitudes/ motives can and will become hindrances to your “personal revival”; so can your tongue hinder the power of God working within your life. Words are very powerful and the “tongue” is the very instrument God chooses to use to bring forth life through our words.
Our speech is a very important factor to God. Do you ever speak roughly, or participate in conversations that are not appropriate? Do you ever lie or mislead people? God hates lying and inconsistency. Here are a few scriptures about our words.
- Colossians 3:9 (NLT) Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds.
- Matthew 12:36 (NLT) And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.”
- Ephesians 4:29 (NLT) Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
- Matthew 5:37 (NLT) Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.
- Proverbs 18:21 (NLT) The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
Man has been given the unique ability to choose and speak words which plays an important part in the development of the human race.
Hebrews 11:3 (NLT) By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
This is another great example of the importance of words. Yes, God spoke the worlds into existence as stated in Genesis chapter 1.This is what faith is all about – that of believing before you see! You can say… God’s promises spoken with faith become creative words, the very power of God flowing through the human tongue. What we say is very important. God looks into the heart of ALL we say.
The tongue can bring forth life or death.
- Do you know God’s Word?
- Do you believe God’s Word?
- Do you speak God’s Word?
In the third chapter of James, we are given the example of a horse being controlled simply by a small bit in its mouth.
We are also given the example of a ship being turned about by a very small helm or rudder. When you compare these two examples with that of your tongue; you can clearly see the importance of our words. Just think of yourself as the rider holding the bridle or as the captain of the ship turning the rudder.
Since your tongue is the deciding factor in your life, YOU can maintain control of your life with the right words in your mouth. It is by the confession of God’s Word in your mouth from your spirit that you will be able to control your ship in the storm. We also see in James that the words from our lips are the key that sets the entire course of life. Satan controls the very circumstances of life if allowed; by planting evil and negative thoughts into the mind; then as they are dwelt upon, they drop down into the spirit; and finally out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speak.
What fruit are you speaking? Is it good or evil? Are your words blessings or curses? Jesus made this very clear in:
- Matthew 15:11, 18… “it is not what goes into a man that defiles him; it is what comes out his mouth.” Yes, our words can and WILL bring either life or death! How quick it can kill the spirit in both the speaker and hearer. God’s word is powerful…that of dominion and life for today. Satan is the god of this world; though he has no creative power of his own, Satan uses the creative power in man’s words to manipulate the circumstances of the world. Satan takes what is already created and produces the counterfeit of the real.
Remember, man was created in the very image of God.
- As stated in James 3:6 (NLT) And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself.
- Again in Isaiah 55:11 (NLT) It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. Here we can see the importance of God’s word.
Satan has been given authority over the natural/ carnal man. But as Born-again Christians we are not of this world, so Satan is not our god.
Do you know who you are in Christ?
Jesus gave authority to every believer to stand against Satan; this includes binding the forces of darkness and rendering Satan helpless. We as believers MUST stand strong and hold our ground. This only can be done through Christ Jesus and what He did for us on the cross.
The BIBLE…is ACTIVE and ALIVE. The Living Word.
- As stated in Ephesians 6:17 (NLT) Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
This is the very basis of our weapons; the SWORD OF THE SPIRIT-the Word of God. Jesus was the “living Word” the Word of God and we have been given His written Word; the Bible-God’s Word. Let’s begin exercising our God given authority over Satan by using the Word of God; the power of God.
When the believer gets the Word of God deep within their spirit, it will be the very spirit of God, the power of the Holy Spirit speaking out with boldness… spiritual power will begin to be released to change the natural circumstances of their life. God’s Word Alive
As Christians we are commanded to live a lifestyle of continual praise giving thanks for all things. Are you filled with an attitude of gratefulness and praise or grumbling and complaining? Give Him praise and supernatural joy will come.
- Ephesians 4:31 (NLT) Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
- 1 Corinthians 10:10 (NLT) And don’t grumble as some of them did, and then were destroyed by the angel of death.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NLT) Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
Are you known as a peacemaker who strengthens those around you, bringing unity to the body “the church”? If not, now is a good time to start!
Love in Christ Jesus,