In the beginning of this letter, there are three things to consider…
- Salvation is not reformation but regeneration;
- Changes in us are not due to imitation but indwelling power;
- The Holy Spirit is doing good things in us as we do our part in consecrating ourselves to prayer and reading/ studying His Word.
The Goodness of God:
- is described as abundance…Exodus 34:6 He passed in front of Moses and said, “I am the LORD, I am the LORD, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness.
- is described as Great…Psalm 31:19 Your goodness is so great! You have stored up great blessings for those who honor you. You have done so much for those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world.
- is described as Enduring…James 1:12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
- His described as Satisfying...Psalm 64:4 They shoot from ambush at the innocent, attacking suddenly and fearlessly.
- is described as Universal…Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation.
- is manifested in Material blessings…Matthew 5:45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and on the unjust, too. Acts 14:17 but he never left himself without a witness. There were always his reminders, such as sending you rain and good crops and giving you food and joyful hearts.”
- is manifested in Spiritual blessings…Psalm 31:19 Your goodness is so great! You have stored up great blessings for those who honor you. You have done so much for those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world.
- is manifested in forgiving sin…Psalm 86:5 O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask your aid.
Goodness is: A Good Disposition, part of your personality.
Goodness is: A Good Attitude, friendly…looking for the best in people in all that you do.
Goodness is: A Desire to Do Good to Others; good works are to be the evidence of new life; visiting the sick, caring for widows, giving to the poor, comforting those who are grieving, and bearing one another’s burdens.
- The Believers’: are to rejoice in the goodness of God…Exodus 18:9 Jethro was delighted when he heard about all that the LORD had done for Israel as he brought them out of Egypt.
- The Believers’: are to remember the goodness of God… Psalm 145:7 Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness; they will sing with joy of your righteousness.
- The Believers’: are to be satisfied with the goodness of God… Jeremiah 31:14 I will supply the priests with an abundance of offerings. I will satisfy my people with my bounty. I, the LORD, have spoken!”
The Goodness of God is: abundant…Numbers 14:18 ‘The LORD is slow to anger and rich in unfailing love, forgiving every kind of sin and rebellion. Even so he does not leave sin unpunished, but he punishes the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations.’
The Goodness of God is: great in extent… Psalm 145:8 The LORD is kind and merciful, slow to get angry, full of unfailing love.
The Goodness of God is: everlasting… Jeremiah 33:11 the sounds of joy and laughter. The joyful voices of bride grooms and brides will be heard again, along with the joyous songs of people bringing thanksgiving offerings to the LORD. They will sing, ‘Give thanks to the LORD Almighty, for the LORD is good. His faithful love endures forever!’ For I will restore the prosperity of this land to what it was in the past, says the LORD.
9 PROMISES FOR YOU of God’s’ Goodness:
- Psalm 145:9 The LORD is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all his creation.
- Psalm 25:8 The LORD is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray.
- Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good. When trouble comes, he is a strong refuge. And he knows everyone who trusts in him.
- Psalm 31:19 Your goodness is so great! You have stored up great blessings for those who honor you. You have done so much for those who come to you for protection, blessing them before the watching world.
- Lamentations 3:25 The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him.
- Psalm 27:13 Yet I am confident that I will see the LORD’S goodness while I am here in the land of the living.
- Psalm 16:2 I said to the LORD, “You are my Master! All the good things I have are from you.”
- Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Checklist…Check your disposition, your attitude, your service for others. Are there changes to be made…allow/let the Holy Spirit Make Them!
Love in Christ Jesus,