In this letter we will discuss how to break free from the issues we face today; there is a need to teach people how to break free and stay free. God teaches us through His Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit, how to break free from that which holds us captive. Understanding God’s Word and applying what His Spirit reveals will bring you the freedom that God has planned. Christ came “that we may have life and life more abundantly.”
- Do you want a life that is more abundant?
- Do you have strongholds in your life that has held you captive?
Let’s list a few strongholds: A Spirit of: Disobedience, Deception, Anger, Fear, Heaviness, Persuasion, Lust, Jealousy, Controlling Spirit, Lying, Self-righteous, Pride, Unforgiveness, Depression, Traditions, Bad Attitudes, Alcohol and Drugs, Bondage (addictions) and the list can go on and on…
The Lord Jesus came to set us free FROM ALL CAPTIVITY. Now, is the time to walk in freedom, today! One of the greatest issues that people face today is that of holding onto a standard of right living. By this I mean that of staying within the boundaries of God given principles; God’s righteousness.
- Ephesians 4:22 – 24 (NLT)throw off your old evil nature and your former way of life, which is rotten through and through, full of lust and deception. Instead, there must be a spiritual renewal of your thoughts and attitudes. You must display a new nature because you are a new person, created in God’s likeness—righteous, holy, and true.
- Romans 12:1 – 2 (NLT)And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is. See also Ephesians 6:10-17; 1 Peter 5:8-10; 2 Peter 2:9.
The first step to breaking free is to realize there is a problem. You must have a desire to be set free from the situation whether; be it financial, physical or emotional. God has made a way for people to be free from bondage. Satan is a deceiver, a liar and will try to do whatever possible to take you under, if you allow Him to.
Secondly; tests, trials, troubles and temptations are all around us. When tribulations come how will you react? It’s how we handle these troubles that bring about freedom. By believing in the Lord Jesus Christ and what He did on the cross for you, will set you free. Do you believe?
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT) But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.
What it means to believe – To believe is to accept as true or real; to expect, to have faith, confidence or trust. To believe is to have confidence in the truth, value, or existence of something.
- Do you believe Jesus was born from a virgin?
- Do you believe in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus?
- Do you accept this Jesus as the truth and His saving power as real?
- Do you have faith, confidence and trust in Jesus Christ?
- Do you value the Words and existence of the Bible?
- Do you have the confidence of it to be the truth, the life and the way?
To believe is to place your complete trust in all that Jesus did for us, at the cross. Jesus went to the cross; bore every stripe on his back for your sickness and disease. He shed His blood to forgive, all your sins. Do you believe?
All this and more is what it means to believe. The key to receiving what you need is to have faith or to believe.
- Ephesians 1:7 (NLT) He is so rich in kindness that he purchased our freedom through the blood of his Son, and our sins are forgiven.
As a believer we must use (or apply) the faith that we have. Satan is always trying to destroy our faith with lies. You cannot allow doubt and unbelief to creep into your mind. It will destroy the faith that you have if you allow it to fester within your mind. Jesus defeated Satan in all areas of His life and SO CAN WE!
Here are some examples that Jesus came to give us all that we need here on earth.
- Jesus said in Mark 9:23 (NLT) “What do you mean,‘If I can? Anything is possible if a person believes.”
- Again in Mark 11:24 (NLT) Jesus said, “Listen to me! You can pray for anything, and if you believe, you will have it.” God has given all mankind a choice to choose right from wrong; good from evil. To make this choice we must know the truth and the truth will set us free.
- Jesus said, in John 14:6, “I am the truth.” To make the right choice we must believe the right thing. To believe in Jesus is to believe in the truth. When we choose to believe in Jesus we are saying we believe in His Word, the Bible; for Jesus said He was and is the Word.
As stated earlier to believe is to have trust, confidence in something. When you say you believe in Jesus you are actually saying that you have confidence, trust, and faith in Him; which is the Word of God, the Bible.
Do you get sidetracked? Remember, WE CHOOSE; WHOM WE WILL SERVE?
- 1 Corinthians 10:21 (NLT) You cannot drink from the cup of the Lord and from the cup of demons, too. You cannot eat at the Lord’s Table and at the table of demons, too.
- See also Ephesians 5:11; Hebrews 11:25-27.
To break the hold (or grip) of Satan in your life you must choose to follow the truth, Jesus. This will take setting your mind on the truth, Jesus, and His Word. As Jesus has stated in the Bible,
- John 14:6, “He is the way, the truth and the Life.” As you apply Biblical principles daily in all you do, your mind and heart will begin to be renewed by the Spirit of God on the truth of things above.
- 1 John 5:5 (NLT) And the ones who win this battle against the world are the ones who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
When you say you believe in Jesus you are actually saying that you believe in all that Jesus did by going to the cross. Jesus came to bind up the broken hearted, to release the captives, and to set the people free. Free from the destructive powers of darkness.
So you can say to believe in Jesus is to believe in the Bible, God’s very word to and for mankind. The power of Jesus is greater than the powers of Satan. His very Spirit resides in you, setting the believer free from ALL that holds him captive. The light of Jesus breaks the hold of Satan and destroys the works of darkness; setting the captive free.
- Repentance from sin and turning from all revealed sin is a must. Forgiveness is available to all that asks.
Once free, how can a person stay free? You must begin to fill your mind, soul and body with all that is Godly. When Jesus sets you free you are free indeed. You must believe that you are free. Be filled with the Holy Spirit and begin to follow His direction into all truth as you read and study God’s Word and pray.
Lastly, Another important factor in staying free is to stay away from all forms of ungodliness.
- Is what I’m doing or saying bringing glory to God?
- Is what I’m doing or saying advancing His Kingdom?
- Is what I’m doing or saying bringing people closer to Christ?
Ask God to reveal His Word to you as you read and study the Bible. Be obedient in all that He reveals. Living the Christian life is an ongoing process, which never stops until the Lord comes back or until you go by the way of the grave. In other- wards, the Christian walk is a life experience with Christ, IN Christ, that is, allowing the Holy Spirit to work out those things in your life for His purpose.
- Galatians 2:20 (NLT) I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Thru believing God…His Word and applying it daily we can enter a place of rest, where we are assured that everything is OK.
- Hebrews 4:11 Let us do our best to enter that place of rest. For anyone who disobeys God (doubt and unbelief), as the people of Israel did, will fall.
God is speaking to all believers who obey Him, to enter a state of rest…a spiritual rest…THRU OBEDIENCE – TRUE BELIEVING.
- Romans 1:17 “This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith.” As the Scriptures say, “ It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”
Let’s begin TODAY, to live our FREEDOM in Christ, for Jesus says “in Him we live, move and have our being.” It’s time we – Believe, Apply and Walk in God’s Word.
Love in Christ Jesus,