Much is said in speaking God’s Word. In this letter let’s look at God’s Word verses our word. I will bring many scriptures from the Bible into this letter showing the utmost importance of speaking and believing God’s Word.
(1) Our words are important! When our word is His Word, it brings forth positive results. Proverbs 18:20-21 Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right words on a person’s lips bring satisfaction. Those who love to talk will experience the consequences, for the tongue can kill or nourish life. Proverbs 20:19 A gossip tells secrets, so don’t hang around with someone who talks too much.
Control the tongue.
- James 3:2-8 We all make many mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way. We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong. So also, the tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals and birds and reptiles and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison.
Speak kind words…words of encouragement…words of truth.
- Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger.
- Proverbs 15:4 Gentle words bring life and health; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
- Ephesians 4:29 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
- Proverbs 16:24 Kind words are like honey-sweet to the soul and healthy for the body.
- Proverbs 18:4-8 A person’s words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook. It is wrong for a judge to favor the guilty or condemn the innocent. Fools get into constant quarrels; they are asking for a beating. The mouths of fools are their ruin; their lips get them into trouble. What dainty morsels rumors are-but they sink deep into one’s heart.
- Proverbs 11:9 Evil words destroy one’s friends; wise discernment rescues the godly.
- Psalm 15:1-3 Who may worship in your sanctuary, LORD? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill? Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts. Those who refuse to slander others or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends.
2) Here are some facts about the Word.
- The Word is always NOW.
- It has been, it is, and it will be, the voice of God.
- It is never old.
- It is always fresh and new.
- To the heart that is in fellowship with the Father, the Word is present-tense, living voice from heaven.
- The Word is like its author: Eternal, Unchanging, Living.
His Word brings life for today.
Hebrews 4:12-13 “For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are. Nothing in all creation can hide from Him. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes. This is the God to whom we must explain all that we have done.”
He is speaking of the Living Word, nothing hidden from Him. This Word has all the elements in it that were in Jesus. If we’re not careful, reason will take the Word’s place if we allow it to. Acting upon the Word doesn’t appeal to the senses. This is why, until the mind is renewed, the Word will never have its place in the believer’s life. Reason must give place to the Word. When I know that His Word is as authoritative today as it was when it fell from His lips, then it will be a living thing in my lips. Faith in God is faith in His Word.
You want to build faith? Feed on the Word; act upon it.
- In Matthew 4:4 But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God.’
- Isaiah 58:13 “Keep the Sabbath day holy. Don’t pursue your own interests on that day, but enjoy the Sabbath and speak of it with delight as the LORD’S holy day. Honor the LORD in everything you do, and don’t follow your own desires or talk idly.
- Isaiah 63:1 Who is this who comes from Edom, from the city of Bozrah, with his clothing stained red? Who is this in royal robes, marching in the greatness of his strength?” It is I, the LORD, announcing your salvation! It is I, the LORD, who is mighty to save!”
- Isaiah 65:24 I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking to me about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!
Remember this, the word of a man is what a man is. The Word of God is what He is.
- In Luke 1:37 (ASV) For no word from God shall be void of power.
- John 12:49 (ASV) For I spake not from myself; but the Father that sent me, he hath given me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
The Word in your lips can be as mighty as the Word in the Master’s lips. Jesus said again and again.
Now begin to soak in the Word and let the Word work in you.
- John 15:7 (ASV) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatsoever ye will, and it shall be done unto you. (remain in Him)
(3) Knowing the Power of the Word.
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are.
His Word when spoken with faith…believing…brings forth life…truth.
- Psalms 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
His Word sustains life.
- Matthew 4:4 But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God.
- Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever.
- John 6:63 It is the Spirit who gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
- Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
- Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.”
The truth (the Word) shall set you free (make you free). Hold to His teachings thru the power of the Holy Spirit and become His true disciple in thought, word and deed.
- John 8:31,32 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- Proverbs 12:25 Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.
- John 17:17 Make them pure and holy by teaching them your words of truth. Hold on to the pattern of right teaching you learned from me. And remember to live in the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus.
(4) Read the Word…Hear the Word and put it into practice.
- Jeremiah 6:10 To whom can I give warning? Who will listen when I speak? Their ears are closed, and they cannot hear. They scorn the word of the LORD. They don’t want to listen at all.
- Deuteronomy 10:16 Therefore, cleanse your sinful hearts and stop being stubborn.
Wisdom is…the fear (reverence) of God…speaking forth His Word and putting it into practice.
- Jeremiah 8:9 These wise teachers will be shamed by exile for their sin, for they have rejected the word of the LORD. Are they so wise after all?
- Luke 11:28 He replied, “But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice.”
- John 1:1-5 In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exists that he didn’t make. Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
- John 1:14 So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father.
Change your thinking…be renewed in the mind by His Word.
- Romans 10:17 Yet faith comes from listening to this message of good news-the Good News about Christ.
- Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.
- Ephesians 6:15-17 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News, so that you will be fully prepared. In every battle you will need faith as your shield to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
We are having what we say…God says we can have what He says we can have. Let’s begin Today, saying what He say’s we can have; always speaking words of faith and life. Belief in His Word, knowing what He says is truth for Today!
God’s Word and Prayer are two of the greatest weapons the Christian has, against evil. NEVER COMPROMISE – Compromise brings deadly results!
Just because I don’t understand what Jesus Christ says, I have no right to determine that He must be mistaken in what He says. Many of us are faithful to our ideas about Jesus Christ, but how many of us are faithful to Jesus Himself? Faithfulness to Jesus means that I must step out even when and where I can’t see anything.
- Psalm 119:1 “Happy are people of integrity, who follow the law of the LORD.
Are you faithful to what He says, or are you trying to compromise His words with thoughts that never came from Him?
- “Whatever He says to you, do it” (John 2:5).
Not being reconciled to the fact of sin—not recognizing it and refusing to deal with it—produces all the disasters in life. If you refuse to agree with the fact that there is wickedness and selfishness, something downright hateful and wrong, in human beings, when it attacks your life, instead of reconciling yourself to it, you will compromise with it and say that it is of no use to battle against it.
In your human relationships and friendships, have you reconcile yourself to the fact of sin? If not, just around the next corner you will find yourself trapped and you will compromise with it. Always beware of any assessment of life which does not recognize the fact that there is sin.
Are you facing an area of doubt in your life? Have you come, like Martha, to a crossroads of overwhelming circumstances where your theology is about to become a very personal belief? This happens only when a personal problem brings the awareness of our personal need.
To believe is to commit.
- In the area of intellectual learning I commit myself mentally, and reject anything not related to that belief.
- In the realm of personal belief I commit myself morally to my convictions and refuse to compromise.
- But in intimate personal belief I commit myself spiritually to Jesus Christ and make a determination to be dominated by Him alone.
Psalm 119 is my favorite chapter in the Bible. It is the longest chapter but means so much to me. Be determined NOT to Compromise in every area of your life…
Psalm 119:1-3 Happy are people of integrity, who follow the law of the LORD. Happy are those who obey his decrees and search for him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths.
Here we see in Proverbs, the very fact of compromising with the wicked and with sin. Proverbs 25:26 If the godly compromise with the wicked, it is like polluting a fountain or muddying a spring.
Love in Christ Jesus,