Let me start this letter by asking, What is TRUTH? Real Truth begins when you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. When you decide to follow Christ, that is “ to become a Christian” to accept Jesus as your personal Savior, you begin to come into the truth. As you follow the Christian way, you will be daily lead into the truth through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- As God’s Word states, “the truth will set you free”. Jesus states in John 14:6 “I am the way, the truth and the life…”. God’s Word “the Bible” is truth…it is alive and active and as we read and study it (His Word) the Holy Spirit will bring forth, revelation, truth and direction, yes, discernment of right and wrong.
It’s time we become serious about deception. 2 Timothy 4:3, NLT “For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.”
- God’s Word instructs us how to destroy deception in ones life as stated in 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (NLT) We use God’s mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds. With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.
- We as believers can be protected from deception when we put on the armor of God as stated in Ephesians 6:10-17 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood,but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth (belt of TRUTH), and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (Feet of Peace); Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Here in 2 Corinthians 10:5 we are told of three ways to get rid of deception in ones life:
- “Casting down imaginations, and
- every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and
- bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;”
In a commentary it was stated like this…In the Greek word rendered “imaginations,” we have the noun derived from the verb rendered “think,” or reckon, in 2 Corinthians 10:2. It would be better, perhaps, to carry on the continuity by rendering it thoughts, or even reckonings. Bringing into captivity every thought.—The verb is used by St. Paul again in Romans 7:23; 2 Timothy 3:6.6 There can be no doubt that “the obedience of Christ “means “obedience to Christ,” and it had better, therefore, be so translated.
1. Cast Down Imaginations…DO NOT REASON… reasoning out what God says should not and (cannot) be a part of our daily walk. God’s Word MUST be the ONLY Word obeyed. We must be obedient to HIS WORD in all that we do.God never intended man to be independent of Him…when man begins to reason things out in himself he will always fail. God intended for man to depend on Him.
Genesis 2:15 The LORD God placed the man in the Garden of Eden to tend and care for it. “…except fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. If you eat of its fruit, you will surely die.”
Genesis 3:1-5 Now the serpent was the shrewdest of all the creatures the LORD God had made. “Really?” “Did God really say you must not eat any of the fruit in the garden?”“ Of course we may eat it,” the woman told him. “It’s only the fruit from the tree at the center of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God says we must not eat it or even touch it, or we will die.”“ You won’t die!” the serpent hissed. “God knows that your eyes will be opened when you eat it. You will become just like God, knowing everything, both good and evil.”
God’s Word is to never be argued over, reasoned or disobeyed. Every Word that God speaks to man must be carried out in detailed NEVER COMPROMISE…FOR God’s judgment will come to all that are disobedient.
Partial-obedience is still disobedience… obedience to God must be in all that we do…in all that God says.
- 1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and completely destroy the entire Amalekite nation—men, women, children, babies, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys.’”
- 1 Samuel 15:9 Saul and his men spared Agag’s life and kept the best of the sheep and cattle, the fat calves and lambs—everything, in fact, that appealed to them. They destroyed only what was worthless or of poor quality.
- 1 Samuel 15:19-23 Why haven’t you obeyed the LORD? Why did you rush for the plunder and do exactly what the LORD said not to do?” “But I did obey the LORD,” Saul insisted. “I carried out the mission he gave me. I brought back King Agag, but I destroyed everyone else. But Samuel replied, “What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Obedience is far better than sacrifice.
Listening to him is much better than offering the fat of rams. Rebellion is as bad as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as bad as worshiping idols. So because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you from being king.” God’s command must become an absolute in our lives. In doing this we will live in intimacy with God and allow the truth of God to shine forth.
2. Cast Down Every High Thing:
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.
- Genesis 9:7 Now you must have many children and repopulate the earth. Yes, multiply and fill the earth!”
God intends for His sons and daughters to take their authority and subdue it. God has given us authority over the principalities of this world. Yes…Satan is defeated and is under our feet.
Remember…in all that we do we must never allow it to build a proud monument to ourselves but all that we do must always point to Jesus…the very cause of our existence. “His Kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven”.
Yes…salvation available to the lost and hurting of this world.
- Genesis 11:1-4 At one time the whole world spoke a single language and used the same words. As the people migrated eastward, they found a plain in the land of Babylonia and settled there. They began to talk about construction projects. “Come,” they said, “let’s make great piles of burnt brick and collect natural asphalt to use as mortar. Let’s build a great city with a tower that reaches to the skies—a monument to our greatness! This will bring us together and keep us from scattering all over the world.”
3. Captive Thoughts: Are your thoughts God’s thoughts? We must learn to capture the very thoughts of God. These thoughts come from His Word (the Bible). All truth comes from God. Before we can learn the truth we must destroy the deception that comes from imaginations, human reasoning of good and evil; that is to say every high thing raised to be equal to God. All ambitions, ideas, or aspirations must be cast down.
We can be free…free to God’s divine truth but it will only come when our thoughts are subject to Christ. Apostle Paul sums it up this way:
Romans 8:5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.
In conclusion to this letter let me say, we can be free from deception when we follow the direction and leading of the Holy Spirit…
Free from deception is when we please the Spirit and we please the Spirit when we are controlled by the Spirit. His way…God’s way is the ONLY way! NOT MY WAY BUT (God’s) WAY!
Love in Christ Jesus,