In this letter let’s look into an in depth study on ” Salvation” . Let’s begin by asking the question, what is meant by “SALVATION”? The word salvation originally meant “deliverance (from)” or “preservation (in) ” dangerous or threatening circumstances. The Bible states in Acts 4:12 “There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them.” and in Luke 1:77 You will tell his people how to find salvation through forgiveness of their sins.
How exciting to know that our salvation is “protected by the power of God”. The Holy Spirit draws all mankind to Jesus through the Gospel and we receive our salvation when we believe the Gospel through faith by trusting in Him. Our ultimate salvation (deliverance from all threatening circumstances) “will not be revealed until Jesus returns on the last (day) time”as stated in 1 Peter 1:5 “And God, in his mighty power, will protect you until you receive this salvation, because you are trusting him. It will be revealed on the last day for all to see.” It will take walking daily in faith, obedient in God’s ways, with a pure heart, keeping our mind and thoughts on holy right living.
“Salvation” is God’s desire for all mankind thru Jesus Christ as our Savior and his redemptive act of delivering humanity from everything that might lead to eternal death – for example, sin – or from the judgment that might lead to that fate…eternal hell.
- 2 Corinthians 7:10 For God can use sorrow in our lives to help us turn away from sin and seek salvation. We will never regret that kind of sorrow. But sorrow without repentance is the kind that results in death.
- Ephesians 1:13 And now you also have heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago.
- Philippians 1:28 Don’t be intimidated by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God himself.
- 2 Timothy 2:10 I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen.
- Hebrews 5:7-9 While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could deliver him out of death. And God heard his prayers because of his reverence for God. So even though Jesus was God’s Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. In this way, God qualified him as a perfect High Priest, and he became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey him.
- Jesus responded, “Salvation has come to this home today, for this man has shown himself to be a son of Abraham. And I, the Son of Man, have come to seek and save those like him who are lost.
“This “salvation” is experienced in the present…but will be consummated in the future when the Lord comes again…Eternal Life.
- Romans 13:11 Another reason for right living is that you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.
- Hebrews 9:28 so also Christ died only once as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again but not to deal with our sins again. This time he will bring salvation to all those who are eagerly waiting for him.
- 1 Peter 1:5 And God, in his mighty power, will protect you until you receive this salvation, because you are trusting him. It will be revealed on the last day for all to see.
Salvation…is descriptive in the Bible as: National deliverance…Exodus 14:13-14 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand where you are and watch the LORD rescue you. The Egyptians that you see today will never be seen again. The LORD himself will fight for you. You won’t have to lift a finger in your defense!”
Deliverance from enemies…2 Chronicles 20:17 But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD’S victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out there tomorrow, for the LORD is with you!” Messiah… Matthew 1:21 And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, (the Lord saves) for he will save his people from their sins
“Salvation…is the source of, (in):
- God’s grace… Ephesians 2:5 that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s special favor that you have been saved!) Ephesians 2:8 God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.
- God’s love… Romans 5:8 But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.
- God’s mercy… Titus 3:5 He saved us, not because of the good things we did, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins and gave us a new life through the Holy Spirit. (Greek- He saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit.)
- Christ alone…Acts 4:12 There is salvation in no one else! There is no other name in all of heaven for people to call on to save them.”
- Cross…1 Corinthians 1:18-19 I know very well how foolish the message of the cross sounds to those who are on the road to destruction. But we who are being saved recognize this message as the very power of God. As the Scriptures say, “I will destroy human wisdom and discard their most brilliant ideas.” Isaiah 29:14 Because of this, I will do wonders among these hypocrites. I will show that human wisdom is foolish and even the most brilliant people lack understanding.”
Salvation…was (is) :
- Promised to Adam…Genesis 3:15 From now on, you and the woman will be enemies, and your offspring and her offspring will be enemies. He will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
- Announced to Abram…Genesis 12:1-3 Then the LORD told Abram, “Leave your country, your relatives, and your father’s house, and go to the land that I will show you. I will cause you to become the father of a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and I will make you a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the families of the earth will be blessed through you.”
- Revealed to the prophets…1 Peter 1:10-11 This salvation was something the prophets wanted to know more about. They prophesied about this gracious salvation prepared for you, even though they had many questions as to what it all could mean. They wondered what the Spirit of Christ within them was talking about when he told them in advance about Christ’s suffering and his great glory afterward. They wondered when and to whom all this would happen.
- Promised to the Gentiles…Isaiah 45:21-22 Consult together, argue your case, and state your proofs that idol worship pays. Who made these things known long ago? Longed for by the saints. Psalm 119:81 I faint with longing for your salvation; but I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:174 O LORD, I have longed for your salvation, and your law is my delight. What idol ever told you they would happen? Was it not I, the LORD? For there is no other God but me-a just God and a Savior-no, not one! Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other.
- To be realized in the Messiah…Isaiah 59:16-17 He was amazed to see that no one intervened to help the oppressed. So he himself stepped in to save them with his mighty power and justice. He put on righteousness as his body armor and placed the helmet of salvation on his head. He clothed himself with the robes of vengeance and godly fury.
- Seen in Christ’s birth… Luke 1:69 He has sent us a mighty Savior from the royal line of his servant David, Luke 1:77 You will tell his people how to find salvation through forgiveness of their sins.
- Christ, the author…Hebrews 5:9 In this way, God qualified him as a perfect High Priest, and he became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey him. Appeared to all the people…Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has been revealed, bringing salvation to all people.
- Proclaimed to Israel…Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O people of Zion! Shout in triumph, O people of Jerusalem! Look, your king is coming to you. He is righteous and victorious, yet he is humble, riding on a donkey-even on a donkey’s colt.
- Accomplished on the cross… John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so I, the Son of Man, must be lifted up on a pole, (Greek- must be lifted up) so that everyone who believes in me will have eternal life.
- Preached through the Good News… Ephesians 1:13 And now you also have heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago.
- Rejected by Israel… Acts 13:26-46 “Brothers-you sons of Abraham, and also all of you devout Gentiles who fear the God of Israel-this salvation is for us! The people in Jerusalem and their leaders fulfilled prophecy by condemning Jesus to death. They didn’t recognize him or realize that he is the one the prophets had written about, though they hear the prophets’ words read every Sabbath. They found no just cause to execute him, but they asked Pilate to have him killed anyway…
- Extended to Gentiles…Acts 28:28 So I want you to realize that this salvation from God is also available to the Gentiles, and they will accept it.” (Some manuscripts add verse 29, And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, greatly disagreeing with each other.)
- This age, day of…2 Corinthians 6:2 For God says, “At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you. Isaiah 49:8 This is what the LORD says: “At just the right time, I will respond to you. On the day of salvation, I will help you. I will give you as a token and pledge to Israel. This will prove that I will reestablish the land of Israel and reassign it to its own people again, Indeed, God is ready to help you right now. Today is the day of salvation.
- God’s patience in…2 Peter 3:9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent.
- Final, nearer each day…Romans 13:11 Another reason for right living is that you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for the coming of our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.
- Consummated in the Second Advent…Hebrews 9:28 so also Christ died only once as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again but not to deal with our sins again. This time he will bring salvation to all those who are eagerly waiting for him.
- Praise for, in heaven… Revelation 7:10 And they were shouting with a mighty shout, “Salvation comes from our God on the throne and from the Lamb!”
Requirements of (or) to Receive Salvation: Acts 2:21 “And anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
- Confession… Romans 10:10 For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.
- Repentance… Mark 1:15 “At last the time has come!” he announced. “The Kingdom of God is near! Turn from your sins and believe this Good News!”
- Faith… John 3:14-18 And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so I, the Son of Man, must be lifted up on a pole (Greek must be lifted up)so that everyone who believes in me will have eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God did not send his Son into the world to condemn it, but to save it. “There is no judgment awaiting those who trust him. But those who do not trust him have already been judged for not believing in the only Son of God.
- Regeneration…John 3:3-8 Jesus replied, “I assure you, unless you are born again, (Or born from above) you can never see the Kingdom of God.” “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?” Jesus replied, “The truth is, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. (“of water” “and the Spirit” representing that of cleansing at birth or rebirth – which comes with the born-again experience. The Greek word for Spirit can also be translated wind-wind is invisible but also can be powerful.) Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives new life from heaven. So don’t be surprised at my statement that you must be born again. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”
- Holy Scripture…2 Timothy 3:15 You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus.
- Believe…Romans 10:9 For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.The ultimate reason for Salvation is Eternal Life /relationship with our creator!
Love in Christ Jesus,