It was not His earth walk; it was not suffering on the cross that made us righteous. The cross was the beginning. It was where substitution really began when God made Him sin with our sins. Yes, His Victory over Satan in His Substitutionary Sacrifice. Salvation for all mankind…for the body, soul and spirit…total freedom in Christ over the principalities of this world!
Satan is defeated in the life of one who asks, repents, believes and confesses Jesus Christ as their Savior! Man was set free because of Jesus’ substitution.
- John 8:36 So if the Son sets you free, you will indeed be free. Here Jesus is speaking of the spirit of man being set free. Man is delivered spiritually from the hand of the enemy; delivered physically from disease and hunger and want; and mentally from being ruled by the senses and brings his spirit, that has been a slave through all the ages, to dominate his thinking and his physical actions.
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me-that Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, as the Scriptures said.
Isaiah 53:4-6 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows (Greek-Yet it was our sicknesses he carried; it was our diseases) that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God for his own sins! But he was wounded and crushed for our sins. He was beaten that we might have peace. He was whipped, and we were healed! All of us have strayed away like sheep. We have left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet the LORD laid on him the guilt and sins of us all.
Yes, He was made a substitutionary sacrifice covering the body, soul and spirit.
- Romans 3:21 But now God has shown us a different way of being right in his sight-not by obeying the law but by the way promised in the Scriptures long ago.
- Romans 4:25 He was handed over to die because of our sins, and he was raised from the dead to make us right with God.
- Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.
In Christ we have our Redemption from Satan’s dominion. It is an Eternal Redemption. It is operative NOW. We have the remission of our trespasses. The word, “forgiveness,” is not properly translated. It comes from the Greek word “aphesis.” It should always be translated “remission.” Remission means…to wipe out everything we have done up to the time we come to Christ.
No matter how much Satan has enwrapped us in his snares, the minute we are Born Again we stand before God New Creations without the smell of our past life upon our spirits. The instant we are born again, we become the Righteousness of God in Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ. Satan’s dominion over us is broken. Instead of being slaves of the Adversary, we become masters of the Adversary. …instead of circumstances lording it over us, we become the masters of circumstances.
- Philippians 4:11 (NASB) Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
Righteousness is the key to the substitutionary work of Christ. Yes…the object of Christ’s finished work was that He might make it possible for natural man to become a New Creation and become the righteousness of God in Christ.
Righteousness means…the ability to stand in God’s presence as though sin had never been…standing there without any sense of inferiority or condemnation. NOW…not after death. This was the problem…Man must be given righteousness.
1. God must be righteous in His dealings with man. His transgression must not be overlooked, and the penalty must be paid.
2. God must act towards Satan on grounds of absolute justice. God must redeem man from his authority on legal grounds.
3. He must not only be just to man and to Satan, but His actions must also be according to His own righteousness.
Righteousness is the very foundation of His throne. Jesus made alive in the spirit.
- Colossians 2:15 In this way, God disarmed the evil rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross of Christ. Jesus had been made sin.
- 1 Peter 3:18 Christ also suffered when he died for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners that he might bring us safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but he was raised to life in the Spirit. Jesus was justified in the spirit.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 Without question, this is the great mystery of our faith: Christ appeared in the flesh and was shown to be righteous by the Spirit. He was seen by angels and was announced to the nations. He was believed on in the world and was taken up into heaven.Revelation 1:18 I am the living one who died. Look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave. This could only come after He had conquered the adversary and taken the keys of death and the grave from the enemy.
- Hebrews 9:24-26 For Christ has entered into heaven itself to appear now before God as our Advocate. He did not go into the earthly place of worship, for that was merely a copy of the real Temple in heaven. Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, like the earthly high priest who enters the Most Holy Place year after year to offer the blood of an animal. If that had been necessary, he would have had to die again and again, ever since the world began. But no! He came once for all time, at the end of the age, to remove the power of sin forever by his sacrificial death for us.
- Hebrews 10:12 But our High Priest offered himself to God as one sacrifice for sins, good for all time. Then he sat down at the place of highest honor at God’s right hand.
- Ephesians 2:6 declares that we are legally sitting with Him in heaven. (NASB) “and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.”
That is our legal standing with God, TODAY… for this is the foundation of our legal rights. The Holy Spirit…through the Word can make our present rights in Redemption a reality. The days of weakness and failure are ended for the man…who knows the Word and dares to act upon it! JESUS became the substitutionary sacrifice…for you and me! DO YOU BELIEVE? Be Determined to live for HIM.
Love in Christ Jesus,