In this letter…Curses are Blessing Blockers! Iniquity passes from generation to generation. As stated in Exodus 20:5 You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations.
What is the difference between the sin and the iniquity? The “sin” is the specific act that was committed; the “iniquity” refers to the state of guilt resulting from sin that is passed down through generations. For example, we Americans suffer today from the correcting effects of the iniquity of slavery in our society although none of us alive ever personally engaged in the slave trade itself.
It’s time we take the initiative as Christians to heal the wounds of past generations. We must identify the iniquity of the past. Be honest about the wrong in the past generations (our ancestors) and confess their iniquity. To back this statement we must study both the Old and New Testament; for the New Testament was founded upon Old Testament principles and the New Testament is a shadow of the Old Testament.
How exciting to know that with the New Covenant our sins and iniquities are washed away by the blood of Jesus in the life of the believer.
Let’s look at the prayers of Daniel and Nehemiah. You might say Daniel could be called a great intercessor not only for himself but for the people of Israel, interceding for their past sins.
- Nehemiah 1:6 listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel. I confess that we have sinned against you. Yes, even my own family and I have sinned!
- Daniel 9:20 I went on praying and confessing my sin and the sins of my people, pleading with the LORD my God for Jerusalem, his holy mountain.
Here, we see Daniel and Nehemiah identifying with and confessing sins of the idolatry of past generations that they themselves did not commit, yet they recognized they had been personally affected by the iniquity resulting from those sins. The sins of the past generations and iniquity in our own generation has caused strongholds to be erected and provided Satan a legal right to continue the evil work he is doing.
We as Christians do not have to stay in spiritual blindness any longer. We as spirit filled believers must realize our legal right and become involved in spiritual warfare with that of “Identifying the iniquity” . This in itself is a mighty weapon to use against Satan in pulling down strongholds. But always remember, Today, Jesus is our great intercessor for man to God and bridging the gap between man and God.
In other words, we are to recognize and identify the past iniquities (unforgiven sins) of our Fathers which was and is past from generation unto generation. Once we recognize these iniquities of the past we can bring them to Christ Jesus in a forgiving attitude. He will intercede on our behalf to our Heavenly Father and we can be assured these past curses are cancelled.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 states; we use God’s mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds. With these weapons we break down every proud argument that keeps people from knowing God. With these weapons we conquer their rebellious ideas, and we teach them to obey Christ.
A Christian can overcome sin / iniquity / the curses of past generations by applying these steps.:
- First step is to identify the sin / the iniquity (be specific)…
- Second step is to confess the sin and ask God for forgiveness…(repent)…
- Third step is to apply the blood of Jesus Christ…Jesus took UPON Himself ALL our sins and iniquity; for you, for me and everyone whomsoever believe…so believe that it is finished and begin to receive…for only Jesus can cleanses us from sin.
- If you are serious in having your sins forgiven and willing to turn from your sins and make Christ Jesus your Lord and Savior; than believe in you heart that Jesus died, shed His blood for your sins and was resurrected so we can be made anew.
- Simply, make these words your prayer from your heart. “Thank You Jesus for cleansing/taking away all my sins as I state them to you… and now I apply the Blood of Jesus over this situation and accept your finished work, Amen.” 1 John 1:7 “But if we are living in the light of God’s presence, just as Christ is, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from every sin.”
What are curses?
Curses are pronounced sentences; a condemnation or judgment singled out…a curse is a violent expression of evil upon others.
Curses are the result of disobedience to God’s law. Curses come from NOT obeying God’s laws! Curses are Blessing Blockers. Disobedience and Rebellion are two things which Block Blessings.
If you are under a curse you are doomed…but I have GOOD news for you. Curses can be cancelled when identified, recognized and properly handled with the Word of God:
1. God gave us warnings…to listen and to obey His commands or suffer the consequences. Deuteronomy 28:15-20 “But if you refuse to listen to the LORD your God and do not obey all the commands and laws I am giving you today, all these curses will come and overwhelm you: … “The LORD himself will send against you curses, confusion, and disillusionment in everything you do, until at last you are completely destroyed for doing evil and forsaking me.
- Deuteronomy 28:45 “If you refuse to listen to the LORD your God and to obey the commands and laws he has given you, all these curses will pursue and overtake you until you are destroyed.
2. Turning FROM truth causes disaster! Deuteronomy 29:16-22… The LORD made this covenant with you so that no man, woman, family, or tribe among you would turn away from the LORD our God to worship these gods of other nations, and so that no root among you would bear bitter and poisonous fruit. Let none of those who hear the warnings of this curse consider themselves immune, thinking, ‘I am safe, even though I am walking in my own stubborn way.’ This would lead to utter ruin!
Deuteronomy 29:20 The LORD will not pardon such people. His anger and jealousy will burn against them. All the curses written in this book will come down on them, and the LORD will erase their names from under heaven. The LORD will separate them from all the tribes of Israel, to pour out on them all the covenant curses recorded in this Book of the Law. “Then the generations to come, both your own descendants and the foreigners who come from distant lands, will see the devastation of the land and the diseases the LORD will send against it.
Psalm 119:21 You rebuke those cursed proud ones who wander from you commands.
Daniel 9:11-16 All Israel has disobeyed your law and turned away, refusing to listen to your voice. “So now the solemn curses and judgments written in the law of Moses, the servant of God, have been poured out against us because of our sin. You have done exactly what you warned you would do against us and our rulers… Every curse written against us in the law of Moses has come true. All the troubles he predicted have taken place. But we have refused to seek mercy from the LORD our God by turning from our sins and recognizing his truth. The LORD has brought against us the disaster he prepared, for we did not obey him, and the LORD our God is just in everything he does”.
“O Lord our God, you brought lasting honor to your name by rescuing your people from Egypt in a great display of power. But we have sinned and are full of wickedness. In view of all your faithful mercies, Lord, please turn your furious anger away from your city of Jerusalem, your holy mountain. All the neighboring nations mock Jerusalem and your people because of our sins and the sins of our ancestors”.
Proverbs 28:27-28 Whoever gives to the poor will lack nothing. But a curse will come upon those who close their eyes to poverty. When the wicked take charge, people hide. When the wicked meet disaster, the godly multiply.
3. Recognize your wrong (disobedience), Repent and determine in your mind (heart) to keep a right relationship at all cost!
Remember, satan came to rob, steal and destroy your life, your joy and happiness; ultimately death, eternal death.
Jesus came to give you peace of mind, joy and happines in this life; a life ultimately resulting in eternal life with Him and God your Heavenly Father. Blessings and favor comes to those who have made Jesus their Lord snd Savior. And those who have made Jesus Christ their Lord has crucified their flesh by loving and obeying their Savior, Jesus, with their whole heart; their whole body, mind, soul and spirit.
It is exciting to know the love and forgiveness of our Savior and Lord.
Deuteronomy 30:2-16 If at that time you return to the LORD your God, and you and your children begin wholeheartedly to obey all the commands I have given you today, then the LORD your God will restore your fortunes…The LORD your God will cleanse your heart and the hearts of all your descendants so that you will love him with all your heart and soul, and so you may live!…“This command I am giving you today is not too difficult for you to understand or perform. It is not up in heaven, so distant that you must ask, ‘Who will go to heaven and bring it down so we can hear and obey it?’ It is not beyond the sea, so far away that you must ask, ‘Who will cross the sea to bring it to us so we can hear and obey it?’ The message is very close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart so that you can obey it
4. Curses brought into one’s life by deliberating sinning… enjoying worldly pleasures and not turning from sin when recognizing the sin.
Isaiah 66:3-4 But those who choose their own ways, delighting in their sins, are cursed…Their offerings will not be accepted. I will send great troubles against them—all the things they feared. For when I called, they did not answer. When I spoke, they did not listen. They deliberately sinned—before my very eyes—and chose to do what they know I despise.”
5. God is a just God…what He says will happen…blessings / curses. Just as the days of old, God dealt with those in disobedience and so today, God deals with disobedience but is much more patient because of His Son Jesus and the working of the Holy Spirit.
Repentance, forgiveness and God’s grace has truly been provided for through the blood of His Son, Jesus and His Son’s interceding on our behalf. Take all your sins and iniquiries from the past and current to your great intercessor for forgiveness. Repent for God is gracious to forgive. Allow the blessings of God’s grace to make you free from the past curses and turn them into blessings from this day forward.
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 “Today I am giving you the choice between a blessing and a curse! You will be blessed if you obey the commands of the LORD your God that I am giving you today. You will receive a curse if you reject the commands of the LORD your God and turn from his way by worshiping foreign gods.
Deuteronomy 30:15-16 “Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between prosperity and disaster, between life and death. I have commanded you today to love the LORD your God and to keep his commands, laws, and regulations by walking in his ways…
Proverbs 3:33-34 The curse of the LORD is on the house of the wicked, but his blessing is on the home of the upright. The LORD mocks at mockers, but he shows favor to the humble.6. Cursed are those who put their trust in man…and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
Jeremiah 11:3-5…Cursed is anyone who does not obey the terms of my covenant! For I said to your ancestors when I brought them out of slavery in Egypt, “If you obey me and do whatever I command you, then you will be my people, and I will be your God.” This is what the LORD says: “Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans and turn their hearts away from the LORD.
Jeremiah 11:8 But your ancestors did not pay any attention; they would not even listen. Instead, they stubbornly followed their own evil desires. And because they refused to obey, I brought upon them all the curses described in our covenant.”
7. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! Just as the days of old we too can receive blessings or curses if we do not turn to Christ and ask God for repentance and forgiveness.
James 3:8-10 but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it breaks out into curses against those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!
Malachi 2:2 Listen to me and take it to heart. Honor my name,” says the LORD Almighty, “or I will bring a terrible curse against you. I will curse even the blessings you receive. Indeed, I have already cursed them, because you have not taken my warning seriously.
8. The Source of Spiritual insight. Matthew 6:19-24 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be. “Your eye is a lamp for your body. A pure eye lets sunshine into your soul. But an evil eye shuts out the light and plunges you into darkness. If the light you think you have is really darkness, how deep that darkness will be! “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Psalm 119:105-112 Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path. I’ve promised it once, and I’ll promise again: I will obey your wonderful laws. I have suffered much, O LORD; restore my life again, just as you promised.
The secret of canceling curses lies in applying the blood of Jesus Christ in every situation…but it will take identifying; the generational curse, the iniquity and sin of both the past and current.
The secret of spiritual insight lies in 2 Peter 3:18; But grow in the special favor and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be all glory and honor, both now and forevermore. Amen.
Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrong doing. Galatians 3:13-14
What is stopping your BLESSINGS? Expect to receive something from God everyday of your life. Always expect when you pray…pray what God says… expect and receive…believe and expect to receive!
According to Galatians Chapter 3, you’re a seed and you’re an heir to the blessings of Abraham which are conditional. Yes, we are seeds of Abraham heirs and joint heirs to the blessings if we are obedient to the voice of God.
Remember…a curse ONLY occurs from a foundation or support for the blocked blessing. The law of cause and effect – (sowing and reaping). Disobedience brings blocked blessings (curses). God can and will change the curse into a blessing just as He did in Nehemiah 13:2. Obedience – following His way…the only way to a life of blessings and favor!
I will recieve God’s blessings and not curses for “I have made up my mind that I WILL serve the Lord!”
Love in our Lord Christ Jesus,