Last night and this morning my mind and heart is brought back to the very meaning of being a “Christian”, Christ-like.
You might consider today’s thought more of an in depth study, as I have listed several scriptures. So with that said let’s begin with who we are.
When we see ourselves as a sinner, repent from our own ways and accept the teachings of Christ Jesus, as the truth, the way and the life…for our own self, our inward man, our inward spirit and heart becomes new and we began to change. The old ways are gone and we become a new creation, yes, we began to follow Christ and Godly ways.
As the scriptures states, their is ONLY “one way to God” and it is through Christ Jesus or you might say being in Christ Jesus. When we accept Christ into our heart, our life; He is in us and we are in Him…we are as ONE.
One mind, one spirit and one being, in Christ Jesus. This is what is meant to be a “Christian”. The “Christian” has God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit residing, indwelling within the believer.
The “Christian” is working together as ONE in Christ Jesus. Just as the “Christian” church works together as ONE in Christ Jesus accomplishing the same purpose, reaching the lost in this world for Christ…the Gospel plan of God for all to believe, receive and apply…His Word. The Bible becomes active and alive to the believer.
A “Christian” will always have a heart of forgiveness.
A “Christian” will not take offense when the offense is directed toward him or her.
A “Christian” will not be offensive or give an offense.
As we began to grow as a “Christian” all the characteristics of Christ will be manifested in our lives. The fruit of the Spirit is produced by the Spirit, not by the Christian. The Greek word is singular, showing that “fruit” is a unified whole, not independent characteristics.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” (Galatians 5:22-23)
The Greek word translated “fruit” refers to the natural product of a living thing. Paul used “fruit” to help us understand the product of the Holy Spirit, who lives (dwells) inside every believer.
Now let’s look into a very important part of the Christian walk; that of witnessing or you might say, that of being a witness. Your life will be a testimony and become as a living testamony for Christ.
You might say a “Christian” is the very eyes, hands and feet of Christ Jesus, on earth; a vessel and an instrument for His use and His purpose.
God guides us to people who need to know Him; as we share the love of God with others, we can be part of the building of His Kingdom as we lead others to Jesus Christ.
- Acts 1:8 (NLT) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
The Great Commission… GO TELL THE WORLD…The Good News…that there is an escape from sin.
There are many who have their eyes on sin…constantly reminding others of the terrible condition of the world and the blackness of sin. That is not on God’s priority list at all. He wants them to know that there is a total escape from that horrible bondage of sin. People already know how evil sin is. When they are bound and entangled by it, they certainly don’t want to hear it from others.
GOOD NEWS – GOSPEL…described as:
- Gospel of God… Romans 1:1 (KJV)…unto the gospel of God,
- Christ…2 Corinthians 2:12…preach the Good News of Christ…The Kingdom… Matthew 24:14
- Kindness of God… Acts 20:24…gospel of the grace of God.
- Peace… Ephesians 6:15 (NLT)…put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.
- Salvation…Ephesians 1:3 (NLT) All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.
- Glory of Christ…2 Corinthians 4:4 Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
God is calling a people to proclaim the GOOD NEWS:
- To all people…Mark 16:15-16
- Everywhere…Rom 15:19-20.
- At all times…Rev 14:6 With great urgency…1 Cor 9:16 With boldness…Eph 6:19.
- As a testimony…Matt 24:14.
To be a successful witness we must honor and please the Lord. What is meant to honor and please the Lord? Living a Holy life-style honors and pleases God.
- Colossians 1:10 (NLT) “Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.”
To honor and please God is to:
- Walk in the Spirit…Galatians 5:16 So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
- Walk in love… Ephesians 5:2 Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him.
- Walk as children of light…Ephesians 5:8 For though your hearts were once full of darkness, now you are full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it!
- When we honor and please the Lord – others notice.
- When we honor and please the Lord…we become fruitful in His Work.
- When others look upon your life and lifestyle, do they see the beauty of holiness, a behavior that is reverent in behavior?
Take a minute and search your own mind and heart, are there perhaps some attitudes and practices you need to “put off” and “put away”?
If so, take a moment and ask God to forgive you and help you with these attitudes or practices. Trust the Holy Spirit as He guides you in your “Christian” walk. Have a Blessed day!
As always, Love in Christ Jesus,