We are always to be expecting our Lords return any-day, anytime. Throughout God’s Word we are reminded of our future with the Lord; an eternity with our God. Our focus in this life is to be on Christ, NOT so much on the physical things of this life.
Yes, we are to take our needs to God in prayer (ask). We are also to take care of this body, but we are not to be so wrapped up in our self, our physical conditions and wants, and leave our spiritual condition to take care of itself.
In other-wards, God will take care of what we need in this life, IF we make Him (God) priority in our spiritual life. When we meet the condition of the promises we can and will see both our spiritual and physical conditions improved.
Our spiritual condition is of the utmost importance to God and should be of our utmost importance to us in this life. I truly believe when we keep our spiritual condition healthy our physical condition will properly line up. God cares ALL about our body, soul and spirit.
Reading/studying God’s Word and prayer are two of the most important elements in keeping our spiritual health. Again, let me say, it is the spiritual (soul) part of us that will be judged and spend eternity with God.
In this letter let’s review the Churches spoken of in Revelation Chapters 2 and 3. Let’s keep in mind on how much He refers to the spiritual condition of the church (the people). Jesus was not only speaking to the Church (the people) of that time but He is speaking to us, today.
- What did Jesus have to say to the Churches?
- Which Church (people) are you?
1. The Church in Ephesus: “I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don’t tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars. You have patiently suffered for me without quitting.” “But I have this complaint against you. You don’t love me or each other as you did at first!”
2. The Church of Smyrna: “I know about your suffering and your poverty—but you are rich! I know the slander of those opposing you. They say they are Jews, but they really aren’t because theirs is a synagogue of Satan.”
3. The Pergamum Church: “I know that you live in the city where that great throne of Satan is located, and yet you have remained loyal to me. And you refused to deny me even when Antipas, my faithful witness, was martyred among you by Satan’s followers.” And yet I have a few complaints against you. You tolerate some among you who are like Balaam, who showed Balak how to trip up the people of Israel. He taught them to worship idols by eating food offered to idols and by committing sexual sin. In the same way, you have some Nicolaitans among you—people who follow the same teaching and commit the same sins.”
4. The Church of Thyatira: “I know all the things you do—your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance. And I can see your constant improvement in all these things.” But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman— that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet—to lead my servants astray. She is encouraging them to worship idols, eat food offered to idols, and commit sexual sin. I gave her time to repent, but she would not turn away from her immorality.”
5. The Church of Sardis: “I know all the things you do, and that you have a reputation for being alive- but you are dead.”
6. The Church of Philadelphia: “I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can shut. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me. Look! I will force those who belong to Satan—those liars who say they are Jews but are not—to come and bow down at your feet. They will acknowledge that you are the ones I love.”
7. The Church of Laodicea: “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! (v. 16): But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth! (v. 17): You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
How do you line up spiritually with Christ’s praise and approval in your life as stated in the scriptures above?
What would your answer be to these questions?
- Do you examine and compare what is told you with the Word of God (work hard at finding the truth) and then when the truth is revealed have nothing to do with those that are false/liars?
How do you line up with Christ’s disapproval in your life? Christ disapproval as stated in Rev. 2:
- Do you love Christ and others?
- Do you have a daily intimate and personal relationship with Christ;
- are you in love with Christ and do you show love (characterized by the fruit of the Spirit) to those in your life?
- Do you accept (put up with) socialize with those who compromise (give and take) with that of the world’s ideals?
- Are you separate from the world not mixing your life (mind, actions or deeds) with the world?
- Do you permit those in your life to live a life style of ungodliness by not standing strong and boldly proclaiming God’s righteousness living a lifestyle of holiness and purity in ALL you do; every moment of every day, even when you think no one else is watching.
- Are you self-satisfied (content) with what you have not needing a thing?
- Are you comfortable in your own little world; not helping those around you to grow (mature) in Godly ways?
- Are you in or part of organizations, programs, committees, activities, but have NO POWER within your life?
This was that of The Church of Laodicea: Revelation 1 “…but you are dead.” (Salvation does not guarantee consistent obedience to the Holy Spirit… steadfast consistent obedience is a result of a day-to-day submission to the will of God.)
Verse 15 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! Verse 16-17 "But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.”
This church has the very description of the modern-day church. They are sickeningly lukewarm and are deceived about themselves. Apostle Paul warns of these things in the last days…
2 Timothy 3:5 They will act as if they are religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. You must stay away from people like that.
Are you willing to heed the warning of Christ in Revelation 2: …Turn back to me again and work as you did at first. If you don’t, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches.” Let’s…clean our house… keep our vessel clean. It is time Christians need to repent as stated above in regards to their stand on spiritual matters and God’s Word; heed to God’s warning, and become more reliant on God and His Word.
There is no room for a self-reliant self-sufficient Christian. There is no business for children of God to act like saints and continually be shining their halos. We as believers, followers of Christ, are to be nothing more and nothing less than a vessel of honor for the Masters use.
God has created us for His purpose as a vessel of honor, dependent on Christ and Him alone. Our complete trust and dependency is to be on God and in His Word. His Word is alive and active and as a believer the Holy Spirit will guide and lead us into all truth.
“Repent” Verse 10: “Don’t be afraid...Remain faithful…” even when facing death and I will give you the crown of life. Verse 16: Repent, or I will come to you suddenly and fight against them with the sword of my mouth.”
Yes, unless we are willing to repent of our sins or our violations of the stated Word of God, and return in obedience to the Word, WE WILL BE JUDGED BY THE WORD, “the double-edged sword.”
OBEDIENCE is the key to God’s blessings and favor! As this age draws to a close we see apostasy; deadness and coldness, lack of interest and concern.
Jesus is asking of this age, where is your faith?
Luke 18:8 “I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when I, the Son of Man, return, how many will I find who have faith?”
Although the letter to the Laodiceans is filled with warnings, Jesus concludes His last letter to the churches with a promise of eternal salvation and glory for any that will turn from their spiritual pride and give themselves totally to Christ as their Lord and Savior.
- Are you paying attention to the Lord’s warning?
- What will you receive by obeying and observing Jesus’ words?
Stated in Revelation 2:17, Everyone who is victorious will eat of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven. And I will give to each one a white stone, and on the stone will be engraved a new name that no one knows except the one who receives it”.
This “hidden manna” symbolizes the spiritual food provided by God in His Word. This is an individual feeding and not a church function. Just as the Israelites had to go individually and gather the manna in the desert, so the child of God is dependent on God for his or her individual spiritual supply.
“Hidden Manna” is that of the person of Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection, as reveled in the Word of God. Verse 25…hold tightly to what you have until I come.”
In other-wards, don’t waiver being tossed “to and fro” here and there, stand firm on the promises and in the faith.
Revelation 3:5, All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine.
Verse 10: “Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world.
Verse 12: All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God, and they will never have to leave it. And I will write my God’s name on them, and they will be citizens in the city of my God—the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And they will have my new name inscribed upon them.
Verse 28:They will have the same authority I received from my Father, and I will also give them the morning star!
Be obedient, consecration is our part in our walk with the Lord. God wants to and will use the person who is spiritually healthy, which will only come through consecration and obedience to God’s Word STAYING IN RELATIONSHIP with Christ
Jesus is the very key to God’s favor and our guarantee to Eternal Life with Him. We as Children of God need to LISTEN to what the Spirit is saying…this message is repeated to every church.
Revelation 3:22 “Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches.”
TODAY’S Church and Christian’s, place their entire focus on their present life and problems. It’s time we trust the Lord God as our provider and endure, be faithful in His work in all that we do. We must continue to believe and apply His promises for TODAY…for our families, friends and our self.
In conclusion let me say, Revelation 3:21 gives us HOPE and a PROMISE TO ALL WHO WILL HEED TO HIS WORD, “I will invite everyone who is victorious to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat with my Father on his throne.”
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PROMISE to be anticipating and be looking forward to!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,