This morning as I look out of the cabin window into the mountains of Tennessee I am reminded of the necessity of our reliance of God. The beauty of the smoky mountains in the fall with the change of colors and winter coming in so fast. Just as God takes care of the various animals during these weather changes, how much more will he care for His children, you and me. We are His prized possessions, His cherished handy work.
It is of the utmost importance to realize what it means to rely on God. What does it mean to rely on God? Reliance on God is that of surrendering ALL of self to the obedience of God’s Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit.
True reliance to God is complete trust and faith in Godly principles and the promises of His Word aligning up our life according to His Word, His ways. Reliance on God will take praying and receiving His Word into our very soul, mind, body and spirit.
As I begin this letter let me say that my reliance on God comes from having a right relationship with Him. The fruit of right relationship with God are these characteristics:
- to have a Fear of God (Respect),
- Hear His Word (Obey),
- Love Him,
- Treasure (Keep) and Teach (Share) His Word.
The just or the believer “shall live by faith” faith in Christ Jesus and what He did for us on the cross, through the cross. Eternal life for all to recieve. His sacrifice made a way for ALL who believe to go to the Father, with their petitions through Christ Jesus, by faith, and receive an answer according to HIS WORD – HIS WILL.
You might say, our life as a “Christian” is based on faith and our life on earth must be based on faith. In other words, everything we do must be based on faith. As stated above, the just or the believer “shall live by faith” .
His will is truly believing/receiving the promises of His Word in the very depths of our hearts. Jesus said, “ I am that I am…I am the way the truth and the life…the beginning and the end.”
God is always faithful to those who have a right relationship and fellowship with Him. This relationship guarantees that He will answer the request asked for; when praying (petitioning according to His will –His Word; relying on God to meet the very request. As we can see a right relationship with God will bring great results to the believer.
You may ask, what can be done to bring about a right relationship with God and maintain a right- relationship? Be obedient to His Word and the leading of His spirit.
How can one know God, know the Word?
To know the Word one must read and hear the Word; ask God for understanding and in return become obedient to the Word; you might say that of doing the Word.
Christ is in us as a believer and as we are empowered by the Holy Spirit, He will help us want to do what is right and give us the wisdom and understanding of His Word.
In other words, what is in your heart will come out in the physical. It will take the Holy Spirit to reveal the truth of the Word rightly dividing the Word. NOT on self-reliance or our OWN reasoning, but that of total dependent on God.
- Repentance is the approach for maintaining a right relationship with God. Go to God in humility (with a broken spirit-surrendered, broken and contrite heart).
- Seek God’s face, through prayer and the wisdom of His Word. Turning from your own ways means following Godly ways, relying on God for all that pertains to life.
What does the Word of God say about repentance? Let’s look at a few scriptures.
Jeremiah 29:13 (NLT) If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.
James 5:16 (NLT) Confess your sins…and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.
1 John 3:3 (NLT) And all who (has this hope in Christ) have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as he is pure.
James 4:8 (NLT) Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
Repentance from the heart is a wonderful thing…It begins the process that burns (cleanses) all that is not of God and brings us back to a reliance and relationship with Him; that of returning to Holiness…
Yes, God’s plan for mankind, Holiness…being in fellowship with His creation, mankind!
- Psalms 51:17 (NLT) The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
- Revelation 2:4-5, Nevertheless, I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place–unless you repent.Reliance on our creator, God, is a must.
The Bible speaks on the subject of self-reliance (relying on the flesh –our human actions, reasoning and thoughts when operating apart from the direct control of Christ). Let’s take look at what the scriptures say about our sinful nature.
- Galatians 5:17 – 21 (NLT) The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
Jesus refers to dying to self as a willingness to choose to deny (or die) to our own wishes (old nature carnal ways) and completely surrender to Christ.
- Matthew 16:24 – 25 (NLT) Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.
- Apostle Paul reinforces what Jesus stated in both Matthew 16:24 and Romans 6:6. We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin.
Are you beginning to see the importance of relying total on God’s plan , salvation available for all who will believe and receive, by faith. God’s grace! This salvation includes both the spiritual and physical, the power that came from the crucifixion, death and resurrection of his Son, Jesus? His blood that washes away all our sin.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9 – 10 (NLT) Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!! We as believers MUST place our complete trust in Christ and what He has done for us. It is through Christ Jesus that we have access to God and ALL the provisions for life! Do you believe?
Let me make this statement: Being saved, (born-again) means you have entered into the victory of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; a new life of power through His resurrection. Power over Satan. Access to God through Jesus Christ. We as believers are alive in Christ Jesus.
Let me explain it this way –
- As you say yes to the spiritual, you are denying (saying no) to the carnal nature (fleshly – actions, desires).
- By saying yes to Jesus you are surrendering (rejecting self) and putting your trust in Him; saying no to thoughts, attitudes and actions of the flesh.
In other words, you “die” out to your sins; worldly desires as stated above in the scriptures. APPLYING Gods Word is a must. We as an individual must choose and will choose, daily -hour by hour… minute by minute whom we will follow either our carnal old nature or our new nature in Christ Jesus.
Yes, we will make a decision – one way or the other…WE CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.
Satan has many deceptive ways and one way of many is that of the belief of having it both ways. Salvation consists of ONLY one way…our new nature in Christ Jesus. His Word is our only blueprint to follow in this life.
There are conditions to be meet for all believers in Gods Word, which means we do have choices to make every day. Which choice will you make?
In other words, we will take up our own cross daily by denying self and following Christ and God’s ways. By relying on our own self-power you will lack God’s supernatural power in your life.
Are you listening to God’s voice; through conviction of the Holy Spirit and the revelation of His Spirit through the Word? Stand strong in ALL tests, trials and tribulations; a dependency on the Lord’s Spirit within you to be your strength and righteousness.
- Remember, everyone will go through life with tests, trials and tribulations.
We can and will over come these situations in life by complete reliance on God, the TRUTH OF HIS WORD which is alive and active, yesterday, today and FOREVER! We are the offspring of His as a child of God as stated in
- Acts 17:28 “For in Him we live,and move,and have our being…”
Fervent prayer and deep attention to God’s Word and holiness will bring about a great spiritual awakening and God’s best for you, a vessel reliant totally on God for eternity.
Love in Christ Jesus,