Again today I will continue in Revelation on the Thyatira Church, considered as the pagan Church, for permitting a false teacher to spread her so“ul-damning heresy.
The main characteristic of this church seemed to be its “works” toward people rather than doctrinal belief. It is evident that this Church typified an evil system similar to the “Jezebel” of the Old Testament (1 Kings 16:19-33)… which was responsible for harmful doctrines, seduction and idolatrous worship.
The Church of Thyatira was from A.D. 606 to the Tribulation.The Church of Thyatira produced what is known as the Dark Ages. “Dark” indicates that the program of merging paganism with Christianity started with the Pergamum Church. This darkness over the Church did not rekindle until the days of the Reformation.
Let’s take a look at Revelation 2:18-29 the message given to the Thyatira church for then and for this day and hour: Revelation 2:18 “Write this letter to the angel of the church in Thyatira. This is the message from the Son of God, whose eyes are bright like flames of fire, whose feet are like polished bronze: (indicates that Christ is looking with piercing judgment on the Church because the Church permitted false teachers to creep in)
- Christ praise and approval as stated in verse 19 “I know all the things you do—your love, your faith, your service, and your patient endurance. And I can see your constant improvement in all these things.” Christ praised them for their:
1. “deeds” -served Christ as a result of receiving Him;
2. “love – service” -a love for humankind – ministry
3. “faith” –a characteristic of that age and church
4. “perseverance” – long time period of endurance;
5. “now doing more than you did at first” –good works increased. Christ disapproval as stated in verse 20-21, But I have this complaint against you. You are permitting that woman—that Jezebel who calls herself a prophet—to lead my servants astray. She is encouraging them to worship idols, eat food offered to idols, and commit sexual sin. I gave her time to repent, but she would not turn away from her immorality.
Christ condemned this church: pagan practices and idolatry were mingled with Christian works and worship.
1. for permitting a false teacher to enslave, lead astray His servants and
2. not repenting when she had the opportunity. Verse 22-23: Therefore, I will throw her upon a sickbed, and she will suffer greatly with all who commit adultery with her, unless they turn away from all their evil deeds. I will strike her children dead. (“second death” at the second coming- judgment, when all unbelievers are cast into the lake of fire.) And all the churches will know that I am the one who searches out the thoughts and intentions of every person (their purpose). And I will give to each of you whatever you deserve. (when all will stand before Christ-all the lost) (a time is coming “Great Tribulation” for this church)
Christ advice, warning and encouragement in verse 24-25: “But I also have a message for the rest of you in Thyatira who have not followed this false teaching (‘deeper truths,’ as they call them—depths of Satan, really). I will ask nothing more of you except that you hold tightly to what you have until I come.”
(Christ is coming to take out those that hold fast to the truth) They forgot that “without holiness” no man shall see God.
- Christ challenge to those who face up to the test…verse 26-29: “To all who are victorious, who obey me to the very end, I will give authority over all the nations. They will rule the nations with an iron rod and smash them like clay pots. They will have the same authority I received from my Father, and I will also give them the morning star! Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches. (we are victorious or an overcomer by FAITH not effort!)
To those resisting the false claims of such a religious system there is a promise of power to “rule the nations with a rod of iron” that is to say, the overcomer’s coming authority and glory; that of leadership and authority during the millennial age and “the morning star” the possession of the light of the Lord’s Word (Christ Himself – the hope of the church-the rapture) as stated in Rev. 22:16.
Continuing the history of the Church…timetable taken from Tim Lahaye’s book “Revelation Unveiled.”
A.D. 606 – Boniface III made first Pope A.D. 709 – Kissing the Pope’s foot. A.D. 786 – Worshiping of images and relics
A.D. 850 – Use of “holy water” begun A.D. 995 – Canonization (declaration of worship) of dead saints
A.D. 998 – Fasting on Fridays and during Lent
A.D. 1079 – Celibacy of the priesthood A.D. 1090 – Prayer beads
A.D. 1184 – The Inquisition – (setting up of judges for the faith)
A.D. 1190 – Sale of indulgences. A.D. 1215 – Transubstantiation. A.D. 1220 – Adoration of the wafer (Host)
A.D. 1229 – Bible forbidden to laypeople
A.D. 1414 – Cup forbidden to people at Communion
A.D. 1439 – Doctrine of purgatory decreed
A.D. 1439 – Doctrine of seven sacraments affirmed
A.D. 1508 – The Ave Maria approved A.D. 1534 – Jesuit order founded
A.D. 1545 – Tradition granted equal authority with the Bible A.D. 1546 – Apocryphal books put into the Bible A.D. 1854 – Immaculate conception of Mary
A.D. 1864 – Syllabus of Errors proclaimed
A.D. 1870 – Infallibility of the Pope declared
A.D. 1930 – Public schools condemned A.D. 1950 – Assumption of the Virgin Mary
A.D. 1965 – Mary proclaimed Mother of the Church Thyatira, comes from two words meaning “sacrifice” and “continual.”
As you can see, the Roman Church denies the finished work of Christ, but believes in a continuing sacrifice that produces such things as sacraments, praying for the dead, burning candles, etc.
These various forms of sacrifice come from the Babylon era, their pagan customs and idolatry, the Catholic Church has become more Babylonian than Christian.
The Catholic Church has taught and given the concept of earning their own salvation by works, penance or sacrament, indulgence; pleasure and immoderation and many other conceived ideas (‘deeper truths,’ as they call them—depths of Satan, really -Rev. 2:24).
Again let me emphasize that Jesus Christ is COMING BACK…for the overcomer. Are you expecting HIS RETURN?
As always,Love in Christ Jesus,