Let me begin today’s thoughts and letter by stating that I believe this Church can be considered the Church of today in so many ways. This is the last of the seven churches spoken of in Revelation. We the people “the Church” need to take a close look at this Church and evaluate ourselves:
- Are we the Church that Christ is coming back for? “A Church without spot or wrinkle.”
- Are we the people after God’s own heart?
- Are we following Godly ways or worldly ways?
Let’s look at this Church and compare it to today’s Church worldwide. The Church of Laodicea was from A.D. 1900 to the Tribulation. The Church of Laodicea was considered “The Apostate Church or “A Church of the People.”
Laodicea means “judgment of the people.” This church followed the popular will of laity a self-sufficient and self-satisfied church instead that of Jesus Christ. The Lord compares the Laodicea church as that of drinking lukewarm water, an example of the modern-day apostate (runaway) church.
This church was caught up in a “prosperity gospel” a development of a combination of a worldly wealth and spiritual pride. They had lost their passion for Christ that tolerated a compromised worship of materialism and Christ.
Let’s take a look at Revelation 3:14-22…verse 14 “Write this letter to the angel of the church in Laodicea. This is the message from the one who is the Amen (final truth)—the faithful and true witness, the ruler (source) of God’s creation:
Dr. Merrill C. Tenney states it beautifully: “Christ is the seal of God’s reveled truth, the finality of all that the Father has spoken. Beyond Him, God has nothing more to say to man.”
Christ praise and approval: Not one word! This church’s conduct was so much in the wrong that even the Christ of Glory could not find one thing on which to commend her. What a tragedy!
Christ disapproval as stated in verse: 15-17 “I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth! You say, ‘I am rich. I have everything I want. I don’t need a thing!’ And you don’t realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.
Christ’s disapproval was that of two areas:
1. They are sickeningly lukewarm. This church has the very description of the modern-day church. All kinds of organizations, programs, committees, activities… but NO POWER! Apostle Paul warns of these things in the last days.
2 Timothy 3:5 They will act as if they are religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. You must stay away from people like that.
2. They are deceived about themselves. Simple compare the description of itself and the Lord’s description of her. A good test of any work that is claiming to be of God, performed in the name of Jesus Christ is that it glorifies the work of the Spirit and not that of humanity. Does it glorify Jesus Christ?
The Lord Himself describes this group of religious people in Matthew 7:22-23 On judgment day many will tell me, ‘Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Go away; the things you did were unauthorized. (unlawful)
The Lord Jesus describes the Laodicea church as “wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.” They were “rich” in material things yet poor because they did not know Christ. They were “blind” striving to solve human racial social problems externally by means of education. This is impossible, the answer lays internally only through Jesus Christ…not human reasoning.
This church was not clothed by faith and did not have garments of righteousness which only comes from believing in the divine Son of God and without Him she is nothing.
Christ advice, warning and encouragement as stated in verse 18, I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. And also buy white garments so you will not be shamed by your nakedness. And buy ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.
Verse 19: “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.”
Verse 20: “Look! Here I stand at the door and knock. If you hear me calling and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal as friends.
The book of Isaiah 55:1-3 explains what Jesus was saying. Salvation cannot be bought through human efforts, but has been purchased for us by the death of Christ on Calvary’s cross.
It’s FREE…Simply…humble oneself, call on the name of the Lord and believe in him. Isaiah 55:1-3“ Is anyone thirsty? Come and drink—even if you have no money! Come, take your choice of wine or milk—it’s all free! Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen and I will tell you where to get food that is good for the soul!
“Come to me with your ears wide open. Listen, for the life of your soul is at stake. I am ready to make an everlasting covenant with you. I will give you all the mercies and unfailing love that I promised to David.”
Today – God desires a fellowship with you! This fellowship only comes by a fellowship with Jesus Christ…and a fellowship with Jesus Christ can only come by opening your heart to Him, inviting Him into your heart…your life!
As stated in 1 John 1:3 “We are telling you about what we ourselves have actually seen and heard, so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.”
My prayer for you TODAY, is that you would keep your life so constantly in touch with God that His surprising power can break through at any point. We are to live in a constant state of expectancy, and leave room for God to come in as He decides.
Here are four ways the Lord is reaching out to mankind:
1. Through His Word. John 5:24 “I assure you, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.”
2. Through His people. Romans 10:14 “But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?” God uses His people!
3. Through His Holy Spirit. John 14:18 “No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.” Here Jesus made it clear that he sent the Holy Spirit to convict the heart of mankind of righteous and judgment.Humanity is reached through His Word and His Spirit.
4. Through divine intervention. An alignment of the affairs of a person’s life that continually point him or her to the need of inviting Jesus into one’s heart.
Christ IS returning and SOON!
Jesus Christ is COMING BACK for the overcomer.
Are you expecting HIS RETURN?
As always, love in Christ Jesus,