This morning, my thoughts today go to the subject of the Fruit of the Spirit and the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
The main point that I would like to make over the next few days is that there is a lot more to Pentecost than speaking in tongues…a lot more!
With that said, first let me say, there are nine Fruit of Holy Spirit which are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit in the believer and should be produced in every Christian. We are to be stay alert and be careful in our walk in the Lord to show love in all we do.
The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit are stated in Galatians 5:22-23, “But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.”…
As we give the Holy Spirit full reign of our mind, emotions and spirit, He will produce the love of God and thewitness of Christ in us as a believer.
Yes, our lives; our mind, emotions and spirit will produce and show the fruit of the spirit in and through our lives.
Another important factor of the Spirit filled life is that of speaking in tongues. Tongues is given for the purpose of praying to God when we don’t know how to put it into words, for the Holy Spirit knows, provides peace and assurance in our inner spirit.
When praying in tongues, we are praying to God through the Holy Spirit, that bonds our spirit with God’s spirit. The gift of tongues is for all believers who are immersed/ yielded and totally surrendered to the working of the Holy Spirit. Again, the gift of tongues is used for their individual times of prayer.
TODAY, it is important for all believers to be filled with the Spirit! God has promised another experience for all believers to receive after you believe and that is the infilling of the Holy Spirit. God is the same yesterday, today and forever.
If the early church had all the gifts, “special abilities” to be working in, through and among the believers, than it is still His plan for all believers today, to be endued with this power from on high, to represent God on the Earth.
Speaking in tongues is for the purpose of praying to God when we don’t know how to put it into words. It provides peace and assurance in our spirit. When praying in tongues we are praying to God through the Holy Spirit that bonds and unify our spirit with God’s spirit.
The gift of tongues is for all believers who are immersed/ yielded and totally surrendered to the Holy Spirit and it is used for their individual times of prayer.
The different kinds of spiritual gifts or “special abilities” as stated in in 1 Corinthians chapter 12 are distributed to spirit filled believers, that are consecrated unto God, His ways and yielded to the Holy Spirit.
These gifts are given to whom ever the Holy Spirit wills; or you might say as He see’s the need. He fills the need in those and to those that are desiring and opened/ yielded and surrendered to the Holy Spirit.
Again let me say, these gifts are strictly to be used for God’s purpose and not for our own agenda.
- Let’s look at what 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 in regards to these nine gifts; “Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service in the church, but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are different ways God works in our lives, but it is the same God who does the work through all of us. (v.7) A spiritual gift is given to each of us as a means of helping the entire church;
- To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice;
- to another he gives the gift of special knowledge.
- The Spirit gives special faith to another, and
- to someone else he gives the power to heal the sick.
- He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and
- to another the ability to prophesy.
- He gives someone else the ability to know whether it is really the Spirit of God or another spirit that is speaking.
- Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, and
- another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.”
It is the one and only Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts or you might say “special abilities”. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
The nine Gifts of the Holy Spirit or “special abilities” is the power of the Holy Spirit given to EVERY believer that asks, covets and desires for the purpose of doing the works of Christ.
Yes, these “gifts or special abilities” are given to believers that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ.
The “special abilities” are essential to the believer, for we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth.
Let me encourage all believers to reach out to God and desire these gifts, “special abilities” to help other believers and to build up and encourage the body of Christ.
As always, love in Christ Jesus,