As I turn this morning to the thoughts of today I turn to the meaning of personal revival, much needed.
May this today’s thoughts bring greater understanding what it means by (the power of the tongue). Just as your thoughts and attitudes/ motives can and will become hindrances to your “personal revival”; so can your tongue hinder the power of God working within your life.
Words are very powerful and the “tongue” is the very instrument God chooses to use to bring forth life through our words.
Our speech is a very important factor to God.
Do you ever speak roughly, or participate in conversations that are not appropriate?
Do you ever lie or mislead people?
God hates lying and inconsistency.
Here are a few scriptures about our words.
- Colossians 3:9 (NLT) Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds.
- Matthew 12:36 (NLT) And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you.
- Ephesians 4:29 (NLT) Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.
- Matthew 5:37 (NLT) Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one.
- Proverbs 18:21 (NLT) The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
Man has been given the unique ability to choose and speak words which plays an important part in the development of the human race.
Hebrews 11:3 (NLT) By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.
This is another great example of the importance of words. Yes, God spoke the world into existence as stated in Genesis chapter 1. This is what faith is all about – that of believing before you see! You can say… God’s promises spoken with faith become creative words, the very power of God flowing through the human tongue. What we say is very important. God looks into the heart of ALL we say.
The tongue can bring forth life or death.
- Do you know God’s Word?
- Do you believe God’s Word?
- Do you speak God’s Word?
In the third chapter of James, we are given the example of a horse being controlled simply by a small bit in its mouth.
We are also given the example of a ship being turned about by a very small helm or rudder. When you compare these two examples with that of your tongue; you can clearly see the importance of our words. Just think of yourself as the rider holding the bridle or as the captain of the ship turning the rudder.
Since your tongue is the deciding factor in your life, YOU can maintain control of your life with the right words in your mouth. It is by the confession of God’s Word in your mouth from your spirit that you will be able to control your ship in the storm.
We also see in James that the words from our lips are the key that sets the entire course of life. Satan controls the very circumstances of life if allowed; by planting evil and negative thoughts into the mind; then as they are dwelt upon, they drop down into the spirit; and finally out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speak.
What fruit are you speaking? Is it good or evil? Are your words blessings or curses? Jesus made this very clear in:
- Matthew 15:11, 18… “it is not what goes into a man that defiles him; it is what comes out his mouth.”
As always, love in Christ Jesus,