Again this morning my thoughts go to that of prayer and our conversation with God. Prayer is meant to be a two sided conversation; When you Talk, He Listens; When He Talks you Listen.
In other words, NOT JUST – ONE SIDED in which we talk to God and hear nothing.
Our prayers are not meant to be just eloquent theological speeches, short sermons, or a form of a shopping list. Prayer includes praise, worship and thanksgiving.
True prayer comes from an intimate relationship with the Father. He will draw us to Him as we get to know His ways and listening to His voice. As we listen we will hear Him. It is through both prayer and His Word that we can get to know God in an intimate way; as we listen and obey His Word, His voice becomes evident.
Many people may know about God but I would say few truly actively know Him. It takes active listening as we can clearly see in these examples with Isaiah and Luke:
- Isaiah 30:21 (NKJV) Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.
- Luke 10:40 – 42 (NKJV) But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”
Listening to and obeying God will bring the best out of us and the best for us from God. Hearing from God will take listening to God. God commands us in Isaiah to take the time to listen:
- Isaiah 55:3 (NKJV) Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you—The sure mercies of David.
- Psalms 46:10 – 11 (NKJV) Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge. Give real Praise to God “for He is great and greatly to be praised”
As stated above, there is a time to be still…yes…“to be still (listen and be assured) that He is God”. Praising God will help us understand God’s greatness and walk in love with our Father and all people…motivating us to listen to His voice, hearing from Him and becoming a fervent prayer.
Let’s listen to what God is saying about the importance of love in these scriptures. If you listen you will hear Him. And if you hear Him you will receive from Him.
- Psalms 138:5 (NKJV) Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the Lord, For great is the glory of the Lord.
- Psalms 48:1 (NKJV) Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised In the city of our God, In His holy mountain.
- Revelation 4:11 (NKJV) “You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, And by Your will they exist and were created.”
- Ephesians 3:20 (NKJV) Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
- Psalms 63:3 (NKJV) Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You.
- Deuteronomy 32:10 (NKJV) “He found him in a desert land And in the wasteland, a howling wilderness; He encircled him, He instructed him, He kept him as the apple of His eye.
- 1 John 4:8 (NKJV) He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
- 1 John 4:11 (NKJV) Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
- 1 John 4:18 (NKJV) There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.
- 1 John 4:19 (NKJV) We love Him because He first loved us.
- Ephesians 5:2 (NKJV) And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma. As we stay in God’s presence we will hear His voice speaking to us, helping us to know that He will answer our prayers.
- As the Psalmists states in Psalms 32:8 (NLT) The LORD says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. How exciting to know that God is guiding us along the best pathway in life!
- When we obey His voice God has given us a promise: “But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.’ Jeremiah 7:23 (NKJV). God has promised to watch over us as we LISTEN and “obey His VOICE”.
Remember, we must be alert in all that we do and and to be an active listener as well as an active speaker.
So, how do we hear what God is saying? Usually it is an impression, a knowing, or a small voice within our thoughts (or mind) in our hearts.
May God help us to be a good listener. Are you determined to be an Active Listener? When you listen you will hear!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,