This morning my thoughts reflect on the beauty of light. It is quite amazing how when “the light” radiates through the darkness, it smothers darkness or you might say, puts out darkness.
In like manner, when we allow Jesus into our lives, darkness disappears from our mind, soul and Spirit.
Let’s look at 12 reasons to consider why Jesus is “the LIGHT”.
1. Jesus is the LIGHT.
- Job 12:22 He floods the darkness with light; he brings light to the deepest gloom.
- Psalm 36:9 For you are the fountain of life, the light by which we see.
- John 1:4-5 Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone.The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.
2. Those living an ungodly life will live in darkness.
- Proverbs 13:9 The life of the godly is full of light and joy, but the sinner’s light is snuffed out.
- Job 18:5 The truth remains that the light of the wicked will be snuffed out. The sparks of their fire will not glow.
- 1 Peter 2:9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are a kingdom of priests, God’s holy nation, his very own possession. This is so you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
- 1 John 1:5-7 This is the message he has given us to announce to you: God is light and there is no darkness in him at all. So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness. We are not living in the truth. But if we are living in the light of God’s presence, just as Christ is, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from every sin.
3. God rescues us to be light in this world.
- Job 33:28 God rescued me from the grave, and now my life is filled with light.’
- Job 33:30 He rescues them from the grave so they may live in the light of the living.
- Psalm 56:13 For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light.
- Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—so why should I be afraid. The LORD protects me from danger—so why should I tremble?
4. Living a Godly life brings about the light of God.
- Psalm 97:11 Light shines on the godly, and joy on those who do right.
- Psalm 112:4 When darkness overtakes the godly, light will come bursting in. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.
- Isaiah 58:10 Feed the hungry and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as day.
Isaiah 60:19-20 No longer will you need the sun or moon to give you light, for the LORD your God will be your everlasting light, and he will be your glory. The sun will never set; the moon will not go down. For the LORD will be your everlasting light. Your days of mourning will come to an end.
5. The Lord has called us to “demonstrate” His righteousness.
- Isaiah 42:6 “I, the LORD, have called you to demonstrate my righteousness. I will guard and support you, for I have given you to my people as the personal confirmation of my covenant with them. And you will be a light to guide all nations to me.”
6. The Lord WILL make you a LIGHT to the unbeliever!
- Isaiah 49:6 He says, “You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me. I will make you a light to the Gentiles, and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.”
7. The “fear “ or “reverence” of the Lord and obedience to His Word, eliminates darkness and disperses light, bringing forth wisdom and understanding to His will.
- Isaiah 50:4 The Sovereign LORD has given me his words of wisdom, so that I know what to say to all these weary ones. Morning by morning he wakens me and opens
my understanding to his will.
Isaiah 50:10 Who among you fears the LORD and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the LORD and rely on your God.
8. The Word of God gives light and direction for life.
- Psalm 119:5 Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your principles!
- Psalm 119:130 As your words are taught, they give light; even the simple can understand them.
- Proverbs 6:23 For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way
ahead of you. The correction of discipline is the way to life.
- Luke 1:78-79 Because of God’s tender mercy, the light from heaven is about to break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace.
- John 8:12 Jesus said to the people, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t be stumbling through the darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
9. Let your light shine.
- Ephesians 5:8-14 For though your hearts were once full of darkness, now you are full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it! For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true. Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, rebuke and expose them. It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret. But when the light shines on them, it becomes clear how evil these things are. And where your light shines, it will expose their evil deeds. This is why it is said, “Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead, and Christ will give you light.”
10. Those that love God will be drawn to the light and the light will be reflected in them.
- John 3:19-21 Their judgment is based on this fact: The light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. They hate the light because they want to sin in the darkness. They stay away from the light for fear their sins will be exposed and they will be punished. But those who do what is right come to the light gladly, so everyone can see that they are doing what God wants. God will bring to light that which is hidden.
- Luke 8:17 For everything that is hidden or secret will eventually be brought to light and made plain to all.
11. Live in the light and receive your inheritance.
- Colossians 1:12 always thanking the Father, who has enabled you to share the inheritance that belongs to God’s holy people, who live in the light.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:5-8 For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night. So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be sober. Night is the time for sleep and the time when people get drunk. But let us who live in the light think clearly, protected by the body armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.
12. Loving other Christians proves that you are living in the light.
- 1 John 2:8 This commandment is true in Christ and is true among you, because the darkness is disappearing and the true light is already shining.
- 1 John 2:9-10 If anyone says, “I am living in the light” but hates a Christian brother or sister, that person is still living in darkness. Anyone who loves other Christians is living in the light and does not cause anyone to stumble.
- Revelation 21:23-24 And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. The nations of the earth will walk in it’s
light, and the rulers of the world will come and bring their glory to it.
Darkness comes in when the light goes out. Don’t ever allow “the light” to fade! Staying in relationship with Jesus will keep “the light” on.
Another way to say this is that the farther you get from “the light” the more darkness you will see.
Believe God, Believe Jesus and Believe the Word. When we believe God and put our trust in Jesus and His finished work at the cross, darkness will fade as “the light” comes in.
As always, love in Christ Jesus,