This morning I will continue my thoughts on obedience. Repentance and obedience are connected in that there are times we must obey God and the leading of the Holy Spirit to repent from our own selfishness and ask for forgiveness, to God and those whom we may have wronged.
Yes, obey and repent from and turn back to God’s righteousness.
Let’s take a look at what Jesus has to say about obedience.
- Matthew 22:37 (NLT) Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’
- Matthew 7:21 (NLT) “Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as ‘Lord,’ but they still won’t enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven.
- Matthew 7:24 – 25 (NLT) “Anyone who listens to my teaching and obey me is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse, because it is built on rock.
- John 8:31 – 32 (NLT) Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you keep obeying my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
Understanding is gained by departing or turning from evil.
- Job 28:27-28 (NLT) Then, when he had done all this, he saw wisdom and measured it. He established it and examined it thoroughly. And this is what he says to all humanity: ‘the fear of the LORD is true wisdom; to forsake evil is real understanding.’
- Hebrews 6:1 (NLT) So let us stop going over the basics of Christianity again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start all over again with the importance of turning away from evil deeds and placing our faith in God.
True repentance from the heart, calls for turning from that which is not right; confessing sin to God; and placing your faith in Jesus Christ, which is vital in following the life of obedience.
Gods’ will for our life must start right here. True repentance.
- Be sorry you’ve sinned against God and man.
- Confess (call sin by its name – hate it – turn from it.)
- Be willing to straighten things out with God and man.
- KEEP FILLED with God’s Spirit, daily; obedient thru praying, reading the Word, praise and worship.
With true repentance from the heart, your life begins to change; for your heart and mind becomes ONE in Christ, as a believer. Jeremiah 32:39 And I will give them one heart and mind to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants.
The opposite of obedience is disobedience; that of NOT following after Godly ways, but following after worldly ways; self-desires through pride, greed, and following after the pleasures of this life.
Disobedience to Gods law is an act that violates or transgresses the religious or moral law of God or the way of righteousness; rebellion of God’s laws; perversion of the heart. We are all born into sin and we all must turn from sin.
We are not righteous in ourself and cannot become righteous in ourself or you might say by ourself. It will take Christ in us to make us righteous. “Christ in us the hope of glory.” Christ brings to us the Kingdom of God in us as a believer! Without Christ we are a lost people, a people that lives unrighteous serving our own selfish desires. I am so glad of Christ and His righteousness in me for He makes me clean and I choose daily His righteousness in me.
How do we obey? Obedience starts in the MIND, the heart. THE MIND is the part of humans that engages in conscious thinking, feeling, and decision-making; in the Bible, the mind and the heart is related.
What is conceived in the mind is exercised in the brain. The brain initiates the action. Once the thought goes to the brain the action follows to your heart.
For this reason, the Christian must choose to set his mind on Godly things; those things that are pure, holy and good.
Even when you’re looking at those impossible situations in your life you must not waiver. Set your mind on the Word of God.
Stand strong, firm, relying and trusting God…use (apply) the faith that you have, stay busy…not in doubt and unbelief but in giving praise and glory to God thru and in all situations.
As always, love in Christ Jesus,