This morning let me ask you; how is our salvation tested?
Another question to be asked; How do I know “if” I am a Christian?
Anyone can say, “I am a Christian” in themselves, but there are certain check points or questions that we can use to evaluate our salvation.
1 John, chapter 2 gives us some of these “tests” or you might call check points for knowing if you are born-again. Remember, these are guidelines to evaluate your own salvation.
Let’s prefix these questions by starting in 1 John Chapter 1:5-7 “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all”. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth (do not practice the
Listed below are 8 questions and thoughts to ponder… “Hereby we do know that we know him…”
1) Are we keeping His commands?
…”if… we keep his commandments”. There will be a desire to keep his commandments, and the truth of the Gospel…we will want to please him.
2) Do we keep (or guard) His Word? “if…we keep (or you might say, guard) His Word”, then the truth of His Word will be evident in our life. We will not lie.
3) Do we walk as He walked?
…”if…we walk as He walked”, then our (standard) of thoughts, deeds, love, and of life itself is nothing less than Jesus Himself, Christ in us as manifested in His creation.
4) Are we known by our Savior’s Righteousness? …”if” “we are known by His righteousness”, then we will be living according to God’s Word.
5) Are we found abiding in Christ?
…”if…we are found abiding in Him” then we will have a lively hope, a blessed hope, a comforting hope and a purifying hope of His second return.
6) Do we love the brethren?
…”if…we love the brethren”: then the characteristics of true love will follow; doing righteousness (vs. 3:10), willingness to die for them (vs. 3:16), willingness to share our possessions with them, having compassion (3:17).
7) Do we have genuine love?
..if…we have genuine love, then “true love is not in word”: true love is not something to write about or talk about, it is something we do, “in deed and in truth”, we demonstrate the love of God by living it, not by preaching it or singing about it.
8) As we abide in Him, do we allow the fullness of the Holy Spirit to abide in us? …”if…we “abide in Him” and we allow Him to “abide in us”…we can and will be assured of our salvation through the assurance of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit in us, and He will bare witness with our spirit (Romans 8:16-17).
The above, you might say are 8 questions and thoughts to ponder over and test yourself as a check and means, to testing the true reality of our saving faith; for the Son is not to be just “a savior” but He is “the Savior” my Savior and to be your Savior.
To sum this all up…As the scripture states in 1 John 5:12, “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life”
As always, love in Christ Jesus,