This morning we will discuss the second Gift, The Word of Knowledge within the first Classification: Classification #1 The Gifts of Revelation, or the Mind-Gifts.(2) THE WORD OF KNOWLEDGE.
This is supernatural revelation, by the Spirit, of certain facts in the mind of God. It may be revelations concerning God’s will, His plan, the secret of others, or their acts, thought, motives and ambitions.
This knowledge is revelation that man could not have known of himself, such as the knowledge of creation, the church, and other truths that were hidden from man from eternity.
Both the Word of Wisdom and the Word of Knowledge confirms the Word of God.
The young and inexperienced may be the recipient of this knowledge as well as the old and experienced, for it does not depend upon natural ability, but upon the direct acts of the Spirit.
Yes…this knowledge will help make a scholar, but being a scholar will never help one to attain this knowledge. The word of knowledge has been defined as “a fragment of divine knowledge”.
- “Now we know only a little, and even the gift of prophecy reveals little!” as stated in (1 Corinthians 13:9).
It should be understood that those through whom the gift functions will not automatically have at their fingertips all knowledge, any more than one who has the gift of working of miracles can perform all miracles at will.
An example of this can be found in:
- 2 Kings 4:27 with the example of Elisha and Gehazi’s grief over her son. “But when she came to the man of God at the mountain, she fell to the ground before him and caught hold of his feet. Gehazi began to push her away, but the man of God said, “Leave her alone. Something is troubling her deeply, and the LORD has not told me what it is.“
- This leads us to conclude that the gifts of the Spirit, important as they are, without the fruit of the Spirit, are of little value. (1 Corinthians. 8:1)
- The function of the word of knowledge is never to serve purposes such as the satisfying of mere human curiosity, mind reading or fortune telling and neither is the gift intended to invade the privacy of another person’s thoughts.
- There may be exceptions, however, when evil purposes need to be exposed.
Once again let me emphasize that the word of knowledge is not something we learn through the process of education. It is not information gleaned from books, commentaries or studies of the Scriptures.
The gift of the word of knowledge is therefore in no sense to take the place of a regular study of God’s Word, as stated in:
- 2 Timothy 2:15 Work hard so God can approve you. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.
The gift of the word of knowledge is supplemental and to serve special needs for specific occasions. The Word of Knowledge in the Scriptures: Gen.9:24; Exodus 32; Joshua 7:10, 11; 2 Kings 5:20-27.
- In Samuel’s life…1 Samuel 3; 9:6, 9:15,16, 10:22, 15:11, 16:7;
- In Paul’s life…Acts 9:11,12,10:5,6,16:9, 21:4-13, 27:10,11, 27:21-26;
- In Elisha’s life…2 Kings 2:16, 3:11, 3:15;
- In War and Heavenlies…Eph 6.
The Word of Knowledge may be imparted or manifested in a number of different ways;
1. God may impart the word of knowledge by audible voice as He did to Samuel in:
- 1 Samuel 3:11-14 Then the LORD said to Samuel, “I am about to do a shocking thing in Israel. I am going to carry out all my threats against Eli and his family. I have warned him continually that judgment is coming for his family, because his sons are blaspheming God and he hasn’t disciplined them. So I have vowed that the sins of Eli and his sons will never be forgiven by sacrifices or offerings.“
2. It may come through dreams or visions as to Joseph (Gen. 41:25-36) or Daniel in:
- Daniel 2:19 “That night the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven”
3. The word of knowledge may come through prophecy.
4. It can come through the gift of interpretation although the manifestation of this gift in public is for edification rather than for the impartation of special revelation.
5. It seems certain that the word of knowledge may be imparted without any of these means being employed. There are times during prayer or meditation in which we are made aware that a certain thing is true although we have not had it declared to us by actual words.
There has been times I have had an overwhelming impression to go somewhere or to do something for someone and it turned out to be God’s divine plan. Even in our own personal matters the Holy Spirit is very much interested in leading us and directing us.
The Use of the Word of Knowledge:
1. To inform of impending judgment… Genesis 18:17, 19 “Should I hide my plan from Abraham?” the LORD asked. (19) I have singled him out so that he will direct his sons and heir families to keep the way of the LORD and do what is right and just. Then I will do for him all that I have promised.”
2. To reveal the secrets of men…1 Cor. 14:25, John 2:25-25, John 1:47 – was it not through the working of his word of knowledge that Jesus always accurately judged the character of those whom He dealt with?
Here the working of knowledge and discerning of spirits have close similarity in operations.
3. To give encouragement to a discouraged prophet…James 5:17, 1 Kings 19:14, 18…God’s word comes at times to let them know that He is still on the throne. Always remember…GOD IS FAITHFUL!
4. To convert a sinner…John 4:16-18…through this word of knowledge a great work of grace took place in the city, for many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him as stated in verse 39 for the saying of the woman, which testified.
As noted…the word of wisdom was also manifested on this occasion. The word of knowledge must be used in the right way at the right time and it will arrest sinners and turn them to God.
TODAY…as conduit is used to supply your home, your neighborhood, and city with electricity, so I urge you to yield to the calling of the Holy Spirit…to stir up the GIFT within you and allow “HIMSELF” (Christ) to be manifested in and through you to light up the world.
Yes…these gifts are available for the asking for the purpose to glorify God.
As always, love in Christ Jesus,