To prefix today’s thought…Gentleness/Meekness, there are three things about the Holy Spirit…
- The Holy Spirit enters the believer at conversion to Christ but there is a deeper walk with the Holy Spirit that only comes in an abiding relationship; in which we will discuss in another thought, the infilling of the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor. 6:20 (KJV) For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- The Holy Spirit baptizes the believer into the body of Christ Corinthians 12:13 (KJV)
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit seals the believer to the day of redemption. Ephesians 4:30
And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Gentleness/Meekness is having a patient, gentle disposition, which should be the normal Christian experience!
Gentleness/Meekness is humble submissiveness to God’s Word…His will.
- Submission to God’s Word calls for…reading the Bible regularly and prayerfully.
- Submission to God’s Word calls for…hearing the Bible consistently.
- Submission to God’s Word calls for…listening with the mind/ heart.
- Submission to God’s Word calls for…shutting out less important messages.
Yes, the meek (humble) learner are like little children learning new things. Eager to do the will of God whatever the cost; eliminating carnal input; and welcoming Biblical truth.
Examples of Gentleness:
- God’s Gentleness…2 Samuel 22:31-37 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect. He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet: and setteth me upon my high places. He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy gentleness hath made me great. Thou hast enlarged my steps under me; so that my feet did not slip.
- Christ Gentleness…Luke 10:39 (KJV) And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. 2 Cor. 10:1 (KJV) Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you:
JESUS was the supreme example of meekness – gentleness.
- Paul’s Gentleness…1 Thess. 2:7 (KJV) But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:
- Gentleness is essential in the Christian walk …In the world, show gentleness to everyone…Titus 3:1-2 (KJV)Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.
- Act in gentleness when giving instructions… 2 Timothy 2:24-25 (KJV) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
- Restore a Brother with gentleness (show meekness)…Galatians 6:1 (KJV) Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
- God’s calling for every Christian to live a life of gentleness…Ephesians 4:1-2 (KJV) I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
- Gentleness in marriage…1 Peter 3:1-4 (KJV) Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
Factors producing gentleness (humility)…Deuteronomy 8: And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
- Impending doom – knowledge of wrongness…2 Chronicles 12:5-12 (KJV) Then came Shemaiah the prophet to Rehoboam, and to the princes of Judah, that were gathered together to Jerusalem because of Shishak, and said unto them, Thus saith the LORD, Ye have forsaken me, and therefore have I also left you in the hand of Shishak. Whereupon the princes of Israel and the king humbled themselves; and they said, The LORD is righteous. And when the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah, saying, They have humbled themselves;therefore I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some deliverance; and my wrath shall not be poured out upon Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak. Nevertheless they shall be his servants; that they may know my service, and the service of the kingdoms of the countries. So Shishak king of Egypt came up against Jerusalem, and took away the treasures of the house of the LORD, and the treasures of the king’s house; he took all: he carried away also the shields of gold which Solomon had made.Instead of which king Rehoboam made shields of brass, and committed them to the hands of the chief of the guard, that kept the entrance of the king’s house. And when the king entered into the house of the LORD, the guard came and fetched them, and brought them again into the guard chamber. And when he humbled himself, the wrath of the LORD turned from him, that he would not destroy him altogether: and also in Judah things went well.
- Submission, produces gentleness…Luke 10:39 (KJV) And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word
Are you always demanding your own way? Do you have trouble getting along with others? Ask the Holy Spirit for gentleness – meekness! He will produce the meekness of Jesus in You!
Several PROMISES for you…in gentleness (meekness)
- Matthew 11:29 (KJV) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
- Colossians 3:12 (KJV) Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
- 1 Peter 3:3-4 (KJV)Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible,even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
- 1 Timothy 6:11 (KJV) But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
- Ephesians 4:2 (KJV) With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
- Philippians 4:5 (KJV) Let your moderation (restraint) be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
- 1 Peter 3:15 (KJV) But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
- Proverbs 15:1 (KJV) A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
- Psalm 37:11 (KJV) But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.
- Matthew 5:5 (KJV) Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Let’s begin today to walk in GENTLENESS (meekness)…living a life in the Holy Spirit with all humility, courtesy and consideration…Christ like!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,