My thoughts this morning are focused on our family and friends. As a Christian we are part of the family of God. How does our family and friends look at us.
Here are three questions to think about this morning in being part of “the Family”.
1. How are others affected by my faith, hope and love?
2. Do I refresh or discourage other believers?
3. What can I do to Minister to others every day?
Praying for those we love.
- Colossians 1:9-11 So we have continued praying for you ever since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you a complete understanding of what he wants to do in your lives, and we ask him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and you will continually do good, kind things for others. All the while, you will learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy.
Paul prayed that they would know God’s will and “we ask him to make you wise with spiritual wisdom”.
What Paul asked for was for wisdom and this was more important than a prayer that they would not be persecuted or that they would prosper or that they would gain political power. Yes, knowing God’s will is more important than any of these.
With what “wisdom” or knowledge are you filled? Knowledge of:
1. world conditions?
2. everything in the world of sports?
3. how to succeed in business?
4. that brings academic recognition?
There is nothing wrong with the knowledge of the things listed above as long as you set your priority. Our 1st and foremost concern should be that of the Kingdom of God and obtaining God’s wisdom and His knowledge. We are to seek after the righteousness of God and everything else in life will fall into place.
Are you “filled” with the knowledge of God’s will? Paul prayed that they would always honor and please the Lord as stated in:
- Colossians 1:10 “Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and you will continually do good, kind things for others. All the while, you will learn to know God better and better.”
Spiritual understanding teaches how to “honor and please the Lord”.
We gain this Spiritual understanding:
1. through prayer…
2. through Bible study…
3. through worship.
What is meant to honor and please the Lord as stated in Colossians 1:10?
To honor and please the Lord is to:
- Walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:16 So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.
- Walk in love. Ephesians 5:2 Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him.
- Walk as children of light. Ephesians 5:8 For though your hearts were once full of darkness, now you are full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it!
When we honor and please the Lord – Others notice!
When we honor and please the Lord – We become fruitful in His Work!
In verse 10, Paul prayed for them what he wanted for himself, “that you will learn to know God better and better”. Paul states in:
- Philippians 3:7-10 “I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own goodness or my ability to obey God’s law, but I trust Christ to save me. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. As a result, I can really know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I can learn what it means to suffer with him, sharing in his death,”
Knowing God will and should be our goal. An intimate relationship with Him brings God’s favor and wisdom.
How do you pray for those whom you Love?
Do your prayers center only on temporary things?
Begin TODAY praying about our loved ones walk with God!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,