In a previous thought we discussed how disobedience and omission can become a hindrance to the miracle working power of God within our life. To better understand disobedience and omission let’s take a look at Obedience and its relationship to God and man.
Obedience keeps our relationship with God open and free.
- Genesis 3:1-24, NIV – 10-11: He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” They had disobeyed God.
- John 15:10-11 When you obey me, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father and remain in his love. I have told you this so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will be full.
Here are a few points concerning the importance of Obedience, Humility and Love:
1. Obeying God, even when we don’t understand, is true freedom. 1 Chronicles 15:11-29, TLB – V 13: The Lord destroyed us before because we handled the matter improperly-you were not carrying it. Luke 11:28 He replied, “But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice.” James 1:25,- But if you keep looking steadily into God’s perfect law-the law that sets you free-and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.
2. Freedom to obey comes through God’s grace and faith in Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1-21, TLB – V 20: The Ten Commandments were given so that all could see the extent of their failure to obey God’s laws. “But the more we see our sinfulness, the more we see God’s abounding grace forgiving us.”
3. Obedience to God is pleasing to him. Joshua 1:1-18, TLB – V 8: Constantly remind the people about these laws, and you yourself must think about them every day and every night so that you will be sure to obey all of them. For only then will you succeed.
Romans 2:13 “For it is not merely knowing the law that brings God’s approval. Those who obey the law will be declared right in God’s sight.” Obedience will follow those who are in Christ Jesus for you will love God and desire to obey Him.
4. Obedience to God often leads to peace. 2 Chronicles 14:1-15, TLB – V 1-2: King Abijah was buried in Jerusalem. Then his son Asa became the new king of Judah, and there was peace in the land for the first ten years of his reign, for Asa was careful to obey the Lord his God.
5. Obedience challenges us? …to go beyond mere understanding; to go beyond mere outward conformity and to act out of love for God.
Matthew 5:17-20, TLB – V 19: And so if anyone breaks the least commandment, and teaches others to, he shall be the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But those who teach God’s laws and obey them shall be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
As always, love in Christ Jesus,