This morning my thought is on the Fruit of the Spirit is LONGSUFFERING/ Patience.
Yes, the Fruit of the Spirit are characteristics of God. He has created us in His image…
We must put on these characteristics as a born-again believer; for the Holy Spirit will perfect in us the Fruit of the Spirit, when we allow Him complete control.
Definition for Longsuffering: forbearance, patient, not easily provoked.
Patience defined as; the ability to bear trials without grumbling; Perseverance (steadfastness- persistence); to wait without losing heart.
Longsuffering/Patience is a description of God’s very nature as stated in:
- Exodus 34:6 He passed in front of Moses and said, “I am the LORD, I am the LORD, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness.”
- Peter 3:9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent.
- 2 Peter 3:15 And remember, the Lord is waiting so that people have time to be saved. This is just as our beloved brother Paul wrote to you with the wisdom God gave him…
Christ is the example of patience…2 Thessalonians 3:5 May the Lord bring you into an ever deeper understanding of the love of God and the endurance that comes from Christ.
The Spirit is the source of patience …Galatians 5:22 But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control.
Patience is described as:
- Being rewarded…Romans 2:7 He will give eternal life to those who persist in doing what is good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers.
- To be endured with joy…Colossians 1:11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with his glorious power so that you will have all the patience and endurance you need. May you be filled with joy.
- To be pursued…1 Timothy 6:11 But you, Timothy, belong to God; so run from all these evil things, and follow what is right and good. Pursue a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness.
God often calls us to wait:
- Be Patient…2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
- Wait on the Lord…Psalm 27:14 Wait patiently for the LORD. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the LORD.
- Wait patiently for him…Psalm 37:7 Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.
- Wait only on him…Psalm 62:5 I wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him.
- They that wait on the Lord…Isaiah 40:31 But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength. They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
- The Lord is good to those that wait on him…Lamentations 3:25 The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him.
- The disciples were to wait for the Holy Spirit…Acts 1:4 In one of these meetings as he was eating a meal with them, he told them, “Do not leave Jerusalem until the Father sends you what he promised. Remember, I have told you about this before.
- We are to wait for his Son from heaven looking-expecting his return…1 Thessalonians 1:10 And they speak of how you are looking forward to the coming of God’s Son from heaven-Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment.
- Christians are to run the race with patience…Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weigh that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. Hebrews 10:36 Patient endurance is what you need now, so you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.
Examples of Patience:
Job is the most common example of patience…
- Patient when his family and fortune were taken.
- Patient when his wife urged him to curse God and die.
The patience of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Dan 3).
The patience of Daniel in the lion’s den (Dan 6).
The patience of Paul and Silas in prison (Acts 16:25-32).
Jesus being the greatest example of patience…
- His patience before Pilate
- His patience on the cross
- His patience in returning
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise to return, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to perish, so he is giving more time for everyone to repent.
Opportunities to Witness Through Patience:
- Patient husbands may win their wives.
- Patient wives may win their husbands.
- Patient employers may win their employees.
- Patient drivers impress other drivers.
- Patient people stand out in the crowd.
- Observers of patient people wonder how they can do it…this brings about their witness as real…these opportunities are worth waiting for.
- Others see the Holy Spirit at work through patient people.
Five Products of Patience:
- A Good Heart…Luke 8:15 But the good soil represents honest, good-hearted people who hear God’s message, cling to it, and steadily produce a huge harvest.
- Tribulation…Romans 5:3-4 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us-they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation.
- Testing of faith…James 1:3-4 (NKJV) knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
- Hope…Romans 8:25 But if we look forward to something we don’t have yet, we must wait patiently and confidently.
- Scriptures…Romans 15:4 Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. They give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises.
How To Wait On God –
- Psalm 37:7-9 Be still in the presence of the LORD, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes. Stop your anger! Turn from your rage! Do not envy others-it only leads to harm. For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the LORD will possess the land.
- Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be astounded. They will put their trust in the LORD.
- Isaiah 30:18 But the LORD still waits for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the LORD is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for him to help them.
- Psalm 39:7-8 And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you. Rescue me from my rebellion, for even fools mock me when I rebel.
- Psalm 106:13 Yet how quickly they forgot what he had done! They wouldn’t wait for his counsel!
- Psalm 130:5-6 I am counting on the LORD; yes, I am counting on him, I have put my hope in his word. I long for the Lord more than sentries long for the dawn, yes, more than sentries long for the dawn. Evil must never be tolerated…
- Revelation 2:2 “I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don’t tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars.
Remember…while waiting patiently, direct your focus on God in and thru all things…Psalm 123:2 Behold, as the eyes of servants [look] unto the hand of their masters, as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress, so our eyes [are directed] to Jehovah our God, until he be gracious unto us.
If you need Patience in areas of your daily walk, the Holy Spirit will calm you down…your patience depends on your degree of surrender.
The Fruit of the Spirit Progresses…Love, joy, peace, patience…each strengthened by the others…but all flow from LOVE!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,