Today’s thoughts, the 6th fruit of the Spirit, Goodness.
So many times the true meaning of the word “goodness” is overlooked. Goodness is action; it’s not something we do only for the sake of being virtuous. “The fruit” of goodness is unselfish. That is to say, our actions come from a place of selflessness, and we place the needs of others before our own. Yes, this us true “goodness”.
Another way to say this is; to strive to be “good” only for our own benefit, it is not truly goodness that we possess. In Greek, the word goodness, “agathosune,” means “an uprightness of heart and life” (Thayer & Strong, 1995).
In continuing this morning on the Fruit of the Spirit we will bring out more thoughts on the Holy Spirit and His purpose in the believer.
The Book of Acts has three great personalities that stand out: the Holy Spirit, the Living Word, and the Name of Jesus.
The Word and Jesus are usually identical…you cannot separate the Name from the Man. It is a part of Him.
- John 1:1 In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God.
- John 6:44 For people can’t come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them from the dead. Some promises Jesus made in regards to the Holy Spirit before He left.
- John 7:37-39 The Holy Spirit…living water…Eternal Life. On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “If you are thirsty, come to me! If you believe in me, come and drink! For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water will flow out from within.” (When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.)
- In John 7:37 The invitation is to those desiring the Holy Spirit… “If you are thirsty”…Do you thirst to know that the guilt is gone?
- Do you thirst to know that the record is clean?
- Do you thirst for fellowship with God?To receive the Holy Spirit…”Let him come unto me and drink”
Come to Jesus and drink…To come to Him:
- is to believe on Him,
- is to trust Him,
- is to receive Him. Jesus said “out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water” not cisterns but rivers.
What will flow in these rivers?
- The fruit of the Spirit will flow in these rivers.
- The compassion of Christ will flow in these rivers.
- Peace that surpasses all understanding.
- Power to witness will flow in these rivers.
- Faith will flow in these rivers.
- The Gifts of the Spirit will flow in these rivers.
John 10:10 The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.
Not only was Jesus’ purpose to give Eternal Life but also redeem all sinners from their sins.
Here Jesus was saying…believe that He had died, shed His blood for their sins according to the scriptures, and that on the third day He had been raised settling the sin problem. Redemption was a fact. Eternity with God forever.
Let’s look at God’s GUIDELINES for Life…to our everyday living and we will see results of the Father’s Plan in our Life. As a believer we APPLY God’s Word…and receive all He has for us.
- John 14:16-17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
- John 16:13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas; he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
He…The Holy Spirit possesses the characteristics of personality:
- The Holy Spirit has intellect (Rom.8:27)
- The Holy Spirit has emotion (Eph.4:30)
- The Holy Spirit has a will (1 Cor. 12:11)
The Holy Spirit Comforts, (John 14:16, 26, 16:7) :
- We need comfort when separation is near.
- We need comfort when tears are near.
- We need comfort when we feel alone.
- We need comfort when others turn against us.
- We need comfort when death has touched those near us.
- We need a counselor when we are perplexed (John 14:26)
The Holy Spirit is a Tutor:
- He teaches us about the Bible both individually and continually (2 Pet.1:20-21)
- He teaches us about life (John 14:26)
- He teaches us all about Jesus (John 14:26; 16:13-15)
The Holy Spirit Convicts:
- “He will reprove” (John 16:8-11)
- He convicts of sin…people have consciences
- He nudges the conscience about sin…do you feel guilt? …conviction comes before conversion…correction before comfort.
- He convicts of the lack of righteousness
- He convicts of judgment…after death judgment…prepare to meet God The purpose of conviction is to bring us to Christ and to keep our fellowship with God our Father.
How was the Holy Spirit with the disciples before He could come into them? He was with them in the Person of Jesus. Jesus and the Holy Spirit were working together; so Jesus could say, “He is with you in My Presence.”
- John 14:26 But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative-and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit-he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you.
The disciples didn’t understand the Master any more than the natural man today can understand deeply spiritual things.
Spiritual things are revealed to those who have been born-again. Those that have received the Gospel of Jesus Christ…believing that Jesus Christ came in the flesh, was crucified on the cross, and resurrected who redeemed man forever to be with Him…yes, for Eternity.
- In the next chapter He takes this a step further…John 15:26 “But I will send you the Counselor-the Spirit of truth. He will come to you from the Father and will tell you all about me. He is not only going to be their Teacher, but He is going to bear witness of the Master.
Yes, the Holy Spirit’s primary business in the Church is the office of Teacher about Jesus, the Revealed. It’s what Jesus actually did in His substitution, (that of taking our place on the cross) and what Jesus’ nature and life does to the believer in the New Creation.
The Holy Spirit can take the things of Christ and bring them into the believer’s life until the believer will live and walk as Jesus did in His earthly walk.
We must come to the understanding of the difference between the born again experience and the infilling of the Holy Spirit experience.
You could say, the born again experience is God’s way of getting Christ in you and this second experience is God’s way of getting Christ through you and out of you by the work of the Holy Spirit. The infilling of the Holy Spirit brings boldness to be a witness of Christ in you.
God uses various Methods – As you seek after God’s wisdom, He will reveal thru the Holy Spirit various ways to minister or evangelize your community. We all have different personalities and need not be afraid to minister according to the circumstances and traditions locally.
How do we build a relationship with God? It is thru a daily pray time and Bible reading (study-time)…this relationship will become a fellowship with God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Reaching the People…is a Priority. In order to reach the multitudes, there must be a demonstration, of what to believe…a mentor who will stand, among them and say, “Follow me, I know the way.”
All plans must focus here. In Jesus’ life we can see the importance of finding people and training them to reach people. Jesus was our prime example and success followed Him becoming that living testimony, a living witness.
Yes, it will require deliberate planning and concentrated effort. It’s time we begin to train the people and work with them…seek them out. Win them over. In order to see the Master’s Plan fulfilled, we must reach and train the people to become effective witnesses of our Lord.
- In John 16:7-15 there is further development of the Holy Spirit…But it is actually best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Counselor won’t come. If I do go away, he will come because I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convince the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. The world’s sin is unbelief in me. Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more. Judgment will come because the prince of this world has already been judged. “Oh, there is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas; he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. He will bring me glory by revealing to you whatever he receives from me. All that the Father has is mine; this is what I mean when I say that the Spirit will reveal to you whatever he receives from me.
Your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor 6:19-20) This reminds us of the temple in the Old Testament…great care was given to its design and immense wealth placed into its construction. –>
Your body, God’s temple:
- be careful where it goes…
- what it does…
- what it ponders…
- how it reacts.
- 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God’s temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple.
The results: The Holy Spirit is with you wherever you go…His power is available when you need it …ever word and deed is in His view…He is grieved at our inconsistencies.
We find that the Holy Spirit was there with Jesus, but He was not functioning.
- He was not their teacher, yet.
- He was not their recreator.
- He had not given birth to them, for they had to be born of the Spirit.
This is the exciting news for today…the Holy Spirit is inside of every believer who will believe and receive Him, working out and directing their life if they follow His leading.
The Holy Spirit is going to convict men of sin…
…the sin of rejection of Eternal Life,
…the sin of rejection of His finished work on their behalf.
For this is the sin that shuts him out of Heaven. He has rejected Jesus Christ as his own Lord and Savior. The purpose of the Holy Spirit is to Glorify God in the believers’ vessel.
SURRENDER YOUR BODY TO THE LORD and GLORIFY GOD IN YOUR DAILY WALK!
As always, love in Christ Jesus,