This morning, my thought is on the Fruit of the Spirit is LONGSUFFERING/ Patience. Yes, the Fruit of the Spirit are characteristics of God. He has created us in His image…We must put on these characteristics as a born-again believer; for the Holy Spirit will perfect in us the Fruit of the Spirit when we allow Him complete control.
Definition for Longsuffering: forbearance, patient, not easily provoked. Patience is defined as; the ability to bear trials without grumbling; perseverance (steadfastness- persistence); to wait without losing heart. Longsuffering/Patience is a description of God’s very nature as stated in: Exodus 34:6, He passed in front of Moses and said, I am the LORD, I am the LORD, the merciful and gracious God. I am slow to anger and rich in unfailing love and faithfulness. 2 Peter 3:9, Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (KJV). 2 Peter 3:15, And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you. (KJV).
- Christ is the example of patience…2 Thessalonians 3:5, May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ (NLT).
- The Spirit is the source of patience …Galatians 5:22, But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness (KJV).
- Patience is described as being rewarded…Romans 2:7, To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life (KJV).
- To be endured with joy…Colossians 1:11, Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness (KJV).
- To be pursued…1 Timothy 6:11 But you, Timothy, belong to God; so run from all these evil things, and follow what is right and good. Pursue a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness (NLT).
God often calls us to wait: Be Patient…2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word of God. Be persistent, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching (NLT).
- Wait on the Lord…Psalm 27:14, Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD (NLT).
- Wait patiently for him…Psalm 37:7, Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass (KJV).
- Wait only on him…Psalm 62:5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation [is] from him (KJV).
- They that wait on the Lord…Isaiah 40:31 Isaiah 40:31, But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint. Acts 1:4, And, being assembled together with [them], commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, [saith he], ye have heard of me.
- We are to wait for his Son from heaven looking-expecting his return…1 Thessalonians 1:10, And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, [even] Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come (NLT).
- Christians are to run the race with patience…Hebrews 12:1, Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us (NLT). Hebrews 10:36, For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise (KJV).
Examples of Patience:
Job is the most common example of patience…
Patient when his family and fortune were taken.
Patient when his wife urged him to curse God and die.
The patience of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Dan 3).
The patience of Daniel in the lion’s den (Dan 6).
The patience of Paul and Silas in prison (Acts 16:25-32).
Jesus being the greatest example of patience…
His patience before Pilate
His patience on the cross
His patience in returning
2 Peter 3:9, For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise (KJV).
Opportunities to Witness Through Patience:
Patient husbands may win their wives.
Patient wives may win their husbands.
Patient employers may win their employees.
Patient drivers impress other drivers.
Patient people stand out in the crowd.
Observers of patient people wonder how they can do it…this brings about their witness as real…these opportunities are worth waiting for. Others see the Holy Spirit at work through patient people.
Five Products of Patience:
- A Good Heart…Luke 8:15, But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep [it], and bring forth fruit with patience (KJV).
- Tribulation…Romans 5:3-4, But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep [it], and bring forth fruit with patience (KJV).
- Testing of faith…James 1:3-4, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing (NKJV).
- Hope…Romans 8:25, But if we hope for that we see not, [then] do we with patience wait for [it] (KJV).
- Scriptures…Romans 15:4, For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. (KJV).
How To Wait on God – Psalm 37:7-9, Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth (KJV).
- Psalm 40:1-3, To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD (KJV).
- Isaiah 30:18, And therefore will the LORD wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the LORD [is] a God of judgment: blessed [are] all they that wait for him (KJV).
- Psalm 39:7-8, And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope [is] in thee. 8 Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish (KJV).
- Psalm 106:13, They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel (KJV).
- Psalm 130:5-6, I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope. My soul [waiteth] for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: [I say, more than] they that watch for the morning (KJV).
- Revelation 2:2, I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars (KJV).
Remember…while waiting patiently, direct your focus on God in and thru all things…
Psalm 123:2, Behold, as the eyes of servants [look] unto the hand of their masters, [and] as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes [wait] upon the LORD our God, until that he have mercy upon us (KJV).
If you need patience in areas of your daily walk, the Holy Spirit will calm you down…your patience depends on your degree of surrender. The Fruit of the Spirit Progresses…Love, joy, peace, patience…each strengthened by the others…but all flow from LOVE!